Gains: as is or re-tune

sciontistbb
10+ year member

So I’m thinking of changing subs. I currently have an SA12D4 on a BRZ1200.1D

I tuned this with dmm at a target voltage of 42.42 for 900 watts @ 2 ohms. Found a great deal on a SA D2 and planning on running it a 1 ohm. With this said, I will be running 1200 watts @ 1 ohm. Do I leave my gains the same or to I need to change it? If I do tune it again my target voltage is going to be 34.64. (1200 x 1 ohm)

Can some one explain why the gain will be set lower to create 1200 watts?

900 watts x 2 ohm sq rt is 42.42

1200 watts x 1 ohm sq rt is 34.64

Will I need to change box design? I currently have just a little over 2 ft^3 after displacement tuned @ 32hz

What I'm guessing is your amp isn't making 900 at 2 so you are driving it into clipping to get that voltage.
There is no clipping or at least I don't think there is. I should have mentioned that I had a local shop use an SMD DD1 a few months ago and passed the distortion test. I have yet to fine a shop within a reasonable distance with an o-scope.

When I tune myself with the DMM method on 40hz I backed off my target volt of 42.42 and left it at 40.ish

you can leave your gain as-is. the gain (input sensitivity) is matched to the head unit, not the sub. you can adjust sub output level with remote bass knobs or sub level control on the head unit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.