Gain settings for current setup? Al9805 + RF851x+CDTcl61

Participant count
  • Participant list

PollyCranopolis
10+ year member

Bees!
I orginally had a RF1001BD on 2 PG titanium 15's and a RF851x 4 channel on2 comp sets (CDT cl61's). Recently I fried my 1001bd (I'm attributing to a bad and seperate ground) burning out at least 8 output transistors and melting the coil coating. Due to this "incident" I'm currently running the whole system off the RF851x until I can purchase a 1200d for the subs. 2 channels run to the subs in a series, with the front 2 channels powering the component sets.

MY question gets back to the age old process of gain settings on the amp. I have an Alpine 9805, which supposidly has a max voltage output of 4v. I tried the normal method of cranking up the deck voulme, 90% or so, (with flat settings) and gradually cranking up the gain until it starts to distort. Problem is, using this current method, the amp gets hot as cack,gains are cranked almost all the way up, and my max volume runs at about 28 (over 75%).

It was always my understanding that in an ideal setup, you would want your max voulme settings to be around 25% for the deck. I cannot achieve this without setting the gains to what I feel is an unacceptable high level. The amp gets hot enough to fry an egg off of. Could this be a situation of simply not being able to provide the speakers with the neccesary power for loud sq running off the 2 channels of the 851x? Also, the 851 has no markers on the gain setting to allow me to see exactly what volt level im setting the gain to, which should match the voltage level of the HU. I'm thinking of perhaps taking one of the component sets off the amp, thus providing the one set with more power, inturn allowing me to have the gain set lower? If anyone can understand what im getting at, or provide some advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanx!

read the gain settings tutorial in the amplifier section...and for future reference dont make so many **** threads for the same thing......

Sorry fella. Dont get your panties all in a bunch. Wasnt sure what forum this question would best be answered under is all. Basically, I dont have access to the osc scope, and setting the gains by volume level makes the amp fry, and requires the deck to play at a volume where the signal isnt the best.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.