Gain setting on amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

loz88

UK
Hey guys I did the method where I calculate the gain to set my amp to using my multimeter.

The sub is 125rms at 4ohm and the amp can do 200rms at 4ohm.

Now I did the calculation using 125rms and it sounds good but the bass isn't as loud as I like, I feel like my components overpower the sub.

So I increased the bass boost some and increased the gain, it now sounds how I want it to and I can't hear any distortion.

So I have a few questions:

Does this mean my sub can handle more power than it was rated for?

Can I set my gain using 200rms instead in this case?

What is a good normal bass boost on the amp? I have it on about 4db at the mo.

Thanks

Did your math account for Box Rise? If not you may have set the gain too low. Also not a huge difference in power handling from 125W to 200W. If your sub isn't distorting or bottoming out your likely fine...

BTW What sub is only 125W?

Its a jbl cs10, I actually have it mounted in between my ski pass as I have convertible I can't hear a box in the boot as the boot is separate from the car, this isn't actually a free air sub but maybe that is why?

What is box rise?

So... it isn't in a enclosure? You're running it Free-Air? That sub isn't meant for Free Air usage, and yes would be why you can't hear it.

As for BOX Rise, when your sub is actually in a box, based on Frequency being used your Sub's ohm load will rise, resulting in less power reaching your subwoofer.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.