Gain problem! WTF? What now :S

TheeyaN
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Serbia
OMG cant anything go easy on me.. This is about setting gains with DMM.

This is the thing.. I did everything that tutorial asked me to.. Connect everything in the right way,dissconected speaker cables,inserted a 50 hz tone,set the volume on 58,and when i conected my DMM to the speaker terminals or whats it called it was 0,00 or 0,01

There is nothing wrong with the DMM,becouse when i put it on the power cap it was reading 14,4 V.

After that i dissconected everything and connected my other amp,for the highs. Inserted the 1000hz test tone,and.. SAME THING.. DMM isnt reading ANYTHING! No changes.

Now i was begging to think that my RCA cables arent connected properly,so i connected the speakers to the amp,turn the gain a bit up,and there it was.. Sound was there.. After that i connected the the subwoofer RCA cables and the mids were giving only low tones so that works too..

The RCA cables arent the problem,signal is getting to the amp. Sound exists.

DMM also works,it measures the voltage on the power cap/input voltage to the amp.

SO WHAT IS THE PROBLEM? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif

One amp is Alpine PDX 2.150

second amp is MB Quart RAA2400

p.s. remote works fine,power lamps on both amps work,as i said the music is there,but no reading from the DMM.

After that i tried to measure my brothers sub,i removed the sub,and put the DMM on the sub wires,and same thing! 0,00 - 0,01

Sooo annoying :S

Turn the DMM to the AC (200) setting. or a similar voltage.

DSC02100.jpg

did you accidently put the DMM on ohms while doing this or reading any other current? i think you blew the fuse in the DMM it's self.. you can replace it, only costs a few bucks at radio shack or something, open the back of it and find out, cuz usualy when you read ohms while there is live voltage going through, it will blow the fuse

First it was on 200 AC and then on 200 DC and it was the same..

And when i connected it to power cap,instatly it was reading 14,4V on AC..

I really really dont get it.. Dont get it at all!

I fixed this,but here comes a problem. I have Alpine SPR 17s components,with the named Alpine PDX 2.150 amp.

So i setted the gains on 23V per chanell,but when i turned on the music after it was very dissapointing. Very very low,it sounded like stock speakers on stock HU.. The gain was far off from nominal.

After that i incresed the gain a LOT! Set it on 0.5V i think on the scale.. And could turn it up-up to 55 with no distortion (i think) at least no appearent distortion!

So something is definetly not right here.

Now i am searhing for how a test tone of 1000hz sounds when its normal and when its clipped,i have those earprotecting whats it called.

And yes the car was ON.

Also i conected everything corectly on the crossover. + on + - on -..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.