Gain output matching on two amps x1 4channel x1 mono

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jay Jay

CarAudio.com Newbie
UK
Hi all,

I’ve been struggling to find the right balance in my system and value experienced input, suggestions or even a mathematical solution - if there is one ;)

Ok here is a quick and dirty, will expand into loads of detail if needed:

4 channel amp (75 watts rms) driving front and rear speakers at 4ohm
1 channel amp (600 watts rms) driving sub at 2ohm

I have set my reference volume level at 20 in the car, (all distortion checks done, oscilloscope etc) the head unit volume goes all the way to 35 without distortion. I have then dialled in both amps to peak voltage 17.4 and 34.6 respectively At my reference volume 20. I found that the 4 channel is so loud I can’t really get past volume 15. So I backed of the gain on the 4 channel, but then felt the front / rear to weak at 20. At 20 the bass is humming, but I am struggling to find a good match between to the two amps. I do have a bass controller, which again is set all the way up at my reference volume 20, so I can back off if needed (but rarely do)

My question is this: is there a set formula for working out the above, or just good old school and do it by ear with a few days spare back and forth in the boot lol.

Interested to hear what you guys have to say?

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.