Fusing a remote wire?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Gauntlet
5,000+ posts

bulletproof
So I went to the local install shop today to get some RCA cables for my amp and to just browse around. I was talkin to the guy about my system, and he told me that if I planned on installing more than one amp (im having 2) that it was absolutely necessary to use a fuse distribution block for the remote wire. He told me if I didnt, that if i fried one of my amps then the head unit wouldnt work.....he then of course went on to tell me that they just got some new fuse distro blocks on sale and it would be a "great deal." Was he telling the truth, and im gonna need a fuse distro block for the remote turn on wire, or was he just full of **** and trying to make a sale?

thanks

First off, if you want to add mulitple amps, it is a good idea to use the remote turn-on wire for switching on and off a 12V relay. You might be putting too much stress on your HU if you use that remote turn-on for too many things. And I have never heard of somebody fusing one of those wires. If you want to be extra cautious, sure but it won't kill your HU if the amp dies.

One more thing, use bus connectors. Wing nuts can come loose because of the constant jarring in a vehicle and short out.

First off, if you want to add mulitple amps, it is a good idea to use the remote turn-on wire for switching on and off a 12V relay
How does a 12V relay work/where can I get one?

One more thing, use bus connectors. Wing nuts can come loose because of the constant jarring in a vehicle and short out.
I was planning on just using solder or shrink tubing, but I've never heard of a bus connector. what do they look like?

Sorry for the typos, I meant to say butt connector and wire nuts. They should have them at any Radio Shack, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. I personally would not use solder and heat shrink tubing unless you are especially good at it. The reason is because the if there is too much solder, it adds resistance and possibly a significant voltage drop.

A 12V relay... Basically the remote turn-on would switch on and off a normal 12V line directly from the battery/ignition. This would mean that the remote turn-on would only have to control one switch to turn on as many accessories as you want instead of having to stretch itself between multiple amps. That is a really bad description, go to http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/relays.htm to get a full description.

Sometimes the remote current requirements are listed in the amp's spec sheets. For some amps it's ridiculously low, and it's a waste of time using a relay. My RF 160.2 for instance only takes 1 milliamp. Most Sony amps take 1.5 milliamps. You could power 100 of them off the HU remote without a relay.

Relays take power to run their coils. The big 30 amp relay most people recommend for remote power takes about 160 milliamps to run it. If the load you want to switch is less than the relay, don't use one.

Some amps however, do take lots of remote current (100 milliamps or even more). So if the remote current for your amps aren't spec'ed then it's better to use a relay and be safe.

If your HU is rated 300 ma on the remote output, use a 1/4 amp fuse. Most folks don't bother.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.