connecting another battery

dmdee99

I have one RF punch amp (600a4 4 channel amp) that I have hooked up to 2 10inch JLw6 and 2 eclipse 3 way 6.5. I just got a 2 channel RF amp that I am going to hook up to the subs and I am now going to hook up the 4 channel to the 6.5 eclipses and I got a pair of 6x9 eclipses. My question is when I just had the single amp my lights would dim when I would drive at night. Now that I am going to run 2 amps as oppose to 1, will the dimming get worse? I was looking into getting another battery and a cap. Will this help any bit. (My last resort would be getting a higher power alternator.) If I do decide to go with the extra battery and the cap can anyone give me some advice in how to the new battery up along with the cap? Last question can I use any type of car battery as a second battery as long as the specs are the same or close to the factory battery.

Sorry for all the questions. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I am just so confused on what to do:banghead:

Please help

Originally posted by dmdee99 My question is when I just had the single amp my lights would dim when I would drive at night. Now that I am going to run 2 amps as oppose to 1, will the dimming get worse?
welcome -------- k---simple answer only slightly if nothing in the charging system is changed. Remember--- midrange and trebble don't se alot of power
I was looking into getting another battery and a cap. Will this help any bit.
well------- when are you listening to it---------when driving----- or do you do alot of car off listening too?
the reason why is------- adding more batteries should only be done if you want car off listening time. I know you heard different-----well they are wrong. When the car is runing ---- the alterntor charges any batteries in the system they are loads----- adding more loads will decrease the head room of the alternator[extra current] first you should upgrade all factory wiring under the hood------- power and grounds

you don't want a "high current pinch points" creating any voltage drops

you also want to add some low ESR capacitance[caps] to stiffen the voltage in the charging system and reduce the exessive load spikes seen by the alternator and battery

Last question can I use any type of car battery as a second battery as long as the specs are the same or close to the factory battery.

]
well it's not recommended to just grab some battery and stick it in parallel with the stock one for a couple reasons
one a any charge diffence between the too will only become worse as new loads are put across them

if the ESR are different then no matter how ccharged both are the load will take more current from the one with the lower ESR

As you stated in your reply,

1) I should first upgrade all my electrical wiring.

Is this all the wireing that is connected to the battery and alternator? How thick should the wire be?

2) So I should not ad and extra battery? I should not do this because most of my listening is done while driving. So most of the load is on my alternator. So a second battery would do more harm than good. Is this correct?

3) I did not really understand what you ment about adding a cap.

So I should add a capacitor in between the battery and the two amplifiers? Will this help prevent my lights from dimming? Does making the load stiffer mean that there will be less of a voltage drop? I know a capacitor stores a charge. Can you elaborate more please on this.

4) Lastly will a high performance alternator do the trick? If I get a high performance alternator will I have to change anything else or would I just have to switch it out and all my problems are solved?

Please help me understand

dmdee99

Originally posted by dmdee99 As you stated in your reply,

1) I should first upgrade all my electrical wiring.

Is this all the wireing that is connected to the battery and alternator? How thick should the wire be?
4 gauge is good------get some off e-bay----way cheaper

2) So I should not ad and extra battery? I should not do this because most of my listening is done while driving. So most of the load is on my alternator. So a second battery would do more harm than good. Is this correct?
yup

3) I did not really understand what you ment about adding a cap.

So I should add a capacitor in between the battery and the two amplifiers?
yes
Will this help prevent my lights from dimming?
most likely not-------- extended big loads still will drop the voltage---------just not as often
Does making the load stiffer mean that there will be less of a voltage drop?
yup
] I know a capacitor stores a charge. Can you elaborate more please on this.
you still will get voltage drops --------just not as often or as big------- dimming lights aren't really bad-------- unless your having charging troubles

4) Lastly will a high performance alternator do the trick? If I get a high performance alternator will I have to change anything else or would I just have to switch it out and all my problems are solved?
yes it would make a big difference-------a cap is still useful in a HO alt -------------the thing is there is no need to get a HO alt

I have a kenwood 1000watt amp and 3 mtx 10's by crutchfield.com. Whenever I turn it up at night the lights flicker on and off. I have a digital rockford-fosgate cap, and a high output alternator. I was just wondering why the lights flicker on and off so much? Also when the car is on, the current readout on the cap is between 13- 14 volts. If i added another battery would it balance out the load? and maybe make my lights not flicker? I use the monster cable 4 gauge set from battery to cap, and 8 gauge from cap to amp. I have another battery ready I could use.

Jeff

Originally posted by jeffr680 I have a kenwood 1000watt amp and 3 mtx 10's by crutchfield.com. Whenever I turn it up at night the lights flicker on and off. I have a digital rockford-fosgate cap, and a high output alternator. I was just wondering why the lights flicker on and off so much? Also when the car is on, the current readout on the cap is between 13- 14 volts. If i added another battery would it balance out the load? and maybe make my lights not flicker? I use the monster cable 4 gauge set from battery to cap, and 8 gauge from cap to amp. I have another battery ready I could use.

Jeff
What type of vehicle and exactly how many amps is your alternator rated at?

Current fluxuations are pretty common throughout a car- so lets start with that.

I would not reccomend adding the second battery- just another load on the cars electrical system. (The alternator will have to charge it now too in addition to the other battery.)

Omit the cap from the system. They are worthless. A burst of power for a fraction of a second provides no benefit to a struggling charging system.

Have a look here if you are in doubt:

http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=15196

A typical charging system will produce roughly 14.4 VDC at idle. You can check this at your battery with a DVM while the car is running.

Also- have you upgraded the main posative wire that goes from your alternator to your battery yet? It should be the same gauge as your main power wire to your system if possible.

take it easy,

-zane

Originally posted by chris229 a cap is still useful in a HO alt -------------the thing is there is no need to get a HO alt
No- a cap is not useful to a high output alt.

The alt has no need for the cap. The alt continuously supplies power to the system, the cap simply discharges its miniscule current for a fraction of a second, then has to rely on the alternator to charge it as well- thus further straining the vehicles electrical system.

the thing really is that there is no need to get a cap.

the alt would be a far better choice.

take it easy,

-zane

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.