Fuse Rating for Big 3?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Umbra

Hobbyist & CA Tenderfoot
I just purchased 12' of Knukoncepts 4ga CCA wiring, a bunch of crimp ring terminals, and a set of new battery terminals. I went with 4ga CCA for the Big 3 because I anticipate short runs and it's rated 100 amps at 20'. My alternator is only rated 90 amps anyway.

I have to review the Big 3 upgrade guides for the specifics, but I'd like to fuse any wire that could potentially cause problems. That might be all three. If anyone knows offhand what ratings I'd need for what, that'd be fantastic, otherwise I'll research it in depth after I sleep.

I don't know the exact lengths of the wires, the alt is 90 amps and the wire is 4ga CCA. I don't know if this info is needed, but it's in an '02 Elantra (maybe that means something to you wire length wise) and there's two amps with a combined RMS wattage of 700.

I'd like to know what ratings to fuse what at.

Thanks.

I'd also like to know if anyone knows where I could get cheap, good quality inline fuse holders (I know those two don't go together) and if there's any benefit to AGU, ANL, or mini-ANL over the others.

Fuse for wire rating not for amplifier output..its there to protect the wire, not the amp/alt
Alright, thanks for the clarification.

Upon further investigation (and just a teency bit of thinking while not on the verge of passing out) I should only need one fuse, for the alt to b+ connection.

I'm still a bit confused about fusing for wires in general. Mine's rated 100A at 20', but wouldn't the amount it could carry increase as the length is shortened?

I think I just need one, decent inline fuse holder with a 100A fuse located close to the battery positive terminal. Can anyone more knowledgeable confirm this?

I have the Big 3 upgrade in my Honda CRV with 4 ga.wiring,and I use no fuse on the Big 3..Max of fused rating for majority of 4ga wiring is 150A. found on 12voltwiring.com.I run a 4ga run from the battery(AGM) under the hood with an inline ANL fuse of 150,to another AGM battery in the rear, and grounded to the frame under the vehicle,and from there@ the battery to a double ANL Midi fuse block.I ran a ground from the frame work to a Solid distro block for grounding any amps/other components.I am only in need of 120A for powering two amps.Dont buy cheap blocks man..Get Stinger/XS,or something just as good.

I know a lot of people don't even bother fusing the connection from alt to b+. I've only got one battery and no distro blocks. I ended up ordering a Knukonceptz mini-ANL fuse holder with three 100A fuses.

Ive had my Honda like that for two years and never any issues with the ELD bypass/stock alt, as well as my truck for three years now..never an issue

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.