Fuse or Circuit Breaker?

funkycasey
10+ year member

Arkansas
Are there any downsides to using circuit breakers instead of fuses?

I got a 100Amp circuit breaker with my Zapco 1000.4 amp and thought the idea was pretty cool, so was looking into getting some more for my other amps.

Where can you get lightswitch type 12volt circuit breakers with screw-on bolt terminals instead of bare wire terminals?? The ones I see on sites such as woofersetc and sonicelectronix are those Boss ones which I'm not sure I would trust....

I would stick with the tried and true method of Fuses as helotaxi said. Dont want to toast that amp do you?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I don't trust circuit breakers. A basic ANL fuse holder is plenty cheap and you shouldn't blow fuses. The nice thing about fuses is that I've never seen one fail to blow when it should.
lol, That's why I am asking. I just want to make sure that they are safe to use before actually using them in my system....I have some very expensive shyt that I am about to install....Guess I will stay with ANL fuses....no problem with them, I just thought having a nice line of circuit breakers would look nice, but I guess a line of ANL fuses will look nice as well.

Fuses aren't there to protect anything but your car. By the time an amp itself draws enough current to blow a fuse the damage is already done. In fact, it's usually the damage that causes the excessive current draw in the first place. Shorts in the power wire are what blows fuses and that is to keep the wire from melting due to a gross over-current condition and catching the car on fire.

Fuses aren't there to protect anything but your car. By the time an amp itself draws enough current to blow a fuse the damage is already done. In fact, it's usually the damage that causes the excessive current draw in the first place. Shorts in the power wire are what blows fuses and that is to keep the wire from melting due to a gross over-current condition and catching the car on fire.
You know, back in my mind somewhere I knew what you are telling me, but it did not really click until you told me that...so yea, you are definitely right. I'm gonna stick with the ANL's.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.