Full Range Speaker Box (Maybe I'm Crazy)

Audio Virgin

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello Everybody,
I am new here and an audio newbie, just going to dive right in. I have a crazy idea and if it is in fact crazy, please tell me so, brutal honesty is fine. I would like to build a full range speaker box for the back on my 4runner, with speakers out all 4 sides. I understand I will have to add amps, and some basic controls, (on/off, front, back, left, right, possibly an additional battery, etc.). I have not thought this through all the way but the idea is to build a self-contained speaker box that fits in the back of the 4Runner and receives a signal from my current stereo jack or cell phone. I would like to be able to pull the unit out and mount it to the roof rack for going to the mountains, beach, etc. Maybe I am crazy and there is an easier off the shelf solution. I have visited a few of car stereo shops and they all push the same thing, subwoofers, I tell them that added bass is NOT what I am interested in, but they don’t seem to understand and keep pushing subs, I don’t get it. In fact, personally I do not like a lot of bass. I would like a LOUDER PROJECTED full sound. Currently I plug my cell phone in using the audio jack in my current system and it brings the max volume up some, but I have already blown one sub. I figure I can tilt the speakers back 45 degrees on the front and back, as the side speakers will face the wheel wells. The stock stereo is a JBL Synthesis 10 speaker system (2004 4runner). The stock system seems like a pain in the neck to upgrade as the stereo and amp are mated to all 10 speakers, and the idea of a new speaker set up being portable is appealing. I am clueless. Do I use 8, 4-way speakers all the way around with an amp in the middle, no idea. I am grateful for any ideas or a point in a particular direction. I am very open minded, if I need to get into DAC's and crossovers etc. then OK, I just don't know about such things. Thanks

Last edited:
Are you going to hook this up only when you need it? You aren’t trying to run it as an actual part of your car stereo? Seems like kind of a way to build a portable Bluetooth stereo system, but it runs on your car stereo system?

Thanks Pop, if it's that easy and cheap then great, but please help me understand, that looks like 2 huge woofers, a tweeter, no mids and of course single directional?

Ah, mid range woofers not sub woofers. As I said, I know almost nothing. And sets of these paired with correct amplifier could do the trick I suppose. I will have to check measurements for fit.

Ah, mid range woofers not sub woofers. As I said, I know almost nothing. And sets of these paired with correct amplifier could do the trick I suppose. I will have to check measurements for fit.
Your post reminded me of my ghetto blaster. Basically a portable stereo that ran on 1000 D cell batteries. Felt like the coolest cat blasting LL Cool J, Beastie Boys, Heavy D in public and NWA, Ghetto Boys, Gucci Crew at parties. I loved that stereo. Aiwa was the brand. With bass boost!

Man 1aepsinoza some of those are worth a fortune now. My dad collects and rebuilds old radios from the '30-'60s. I have a couple of them and some of the ones he rebuilt by hand are worth around 1K-2K. Some of those boom boxes from the '80s can go for 1K as well.

I wish I still had mine from when I was a kid, I looked up the old Panasonic we had and it goes for at least 500-700 dollars now.

I would use 1 big horn tweeter of some sort in all 4 directions (4 big tweeters) and maybe use some 6.5 or 8 midranges that’ll play as low as you really want them to, and stick as many of them on each side as you can.

You may either want to buy marine type stuff or buy cheaper stuff that’s easier to replace, just depends on how you want to do it. You could make a 1 foot tall box that’s 3.5 feet by 3.5 feet or so and just pack it all in there. I’d definitely make it a tightly sealed box.

There’s horn tweet designs that are specifically for wide angle dispersion, since going higher in frequency narrows the angle of dispersion from the linear direction of propagation. My Klispch towers have a titanium tweeter inside a 5.25” or so horn shell that helps the sound cover a 70 degree angle, vs a regular tweeter that’s much narrower. Iirc it’s something like 15 degrees or so of angle from direction of propagation with a standard dome like tweeter, but don’t quote me on that. So if you could get 4 horn tweets that do 70 degrees of sound, that would be 280 out of 360 degrees covered, which would be pretty good, IMO.

Last edited:
And the midranges will cover enough area by themselves to just put them in there as normal, may want to get some tweets that match the amount of mids you want to put in there.

I mean I could actually design this with you if you wanted me to. I used to help build suitcases occasionally where we’d put single 8-12” midranges and a decent tweeter in a vintage suitcase and a 20-30 ah or so, low discharge rate battery in there that people could just carry onto the beach or wherever, and could just recharge the battery through a port type mechanism. Play it off their headphone port or Bluetooth. It ‘twas a hipster area lol

Here’s a 90 degree horn tweet:

Attachments

• 94503006-BFEF-4827-AB5D-C148DF237375.jpeg
    94503006-BFEF-4827-AB5D-C148DF237375.jpeg
    25.6 KB · Views: 153
Check YouTube for guys building stereos out of ice coolers. Some of those actually sound pretty cool, with the advantage of already being on wheels. I've considered something similar as a job box / camping box, never considered hooking it up to my vehicle sound system, but having that option might be a cool idea for tailgating.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.