Frustrated!!!!

i am gonna grab some polyfill tommorow and try to get this problem all straightened out. i am gonna run then @2 ohms on seperate channels so they get 300 a piece. hopefullu tommorow i will have some answers.

I see a few possible probs-

Sound cancellation, subs are moving, pushing air but minimal audible sound waves are present-enclosure shape, size and the direction the subs are firing will cause this.

Also- mid bass drivers out of phase with subwoofers will kill audible bass, have you listened to the subs with all the components shut off? to much mid frequency can make you're bass sound quieter then it is.

High excursion spider that needs to soften up a bit. on some subs(not all) they will sound shitty when new but for some reason get deeper and louder over time. This is the spider assembly "breaking in", the spider when new will be so stiff that it will kill off the sensitivity of the subwoofer, lots of movment but the subtle tones are wrong or not present. I have had this problem with Eclipse subwoofers in the past and found that a simple break in period is all thats needed.

During break in the microscopic fibers of the spider break down and make it more plyable this can take up to 3months in some cases but to speed up the process you can take them out of the box and run 20hz tone through them over night, you don't need alot of power to do this as they will be running with no enclosure, just make sure that the vent on the back is not obstructed and that you are only using enough power to get the cone moving close to peak excursion.

Some subs just sound like ass in sealed boxes, the manufacturer will swear up and down that the subs will sound great sealed, sure maybe in a lab but not in a vehicle, in this case just get the subs in a ported box. Ported boxes have the added bonus of breaking in you're subwoofers alot faster then sealed due to the extra movment they allow.

You're SS's are not bad woofers they just have their own preferences on how to be set up.

if your serious about selling them cheap I am in the LA area. Might be interested, although I might have to go the W3 route due to limited enclosure depth...

I believe those subs are made to be run in a small sealed enclosure so that should not be the issue.

i have listened to them without the components and they are still just nasty. They were in a box with a lil over a cube each and they were alot louder but boomy and still bottomed out easily. the new box was supposed to solve all my problems. designed specifically for those speakers. i am going out to run them on seperate channels @2ohms today to see if i can isolate the problem. If they are still nasty, i will be entertaining offers.

This might sound crazy but..

Take some sun tan lotion and rub it on both sides of the surround and then rub some into the spider to make it moist, rienstall the subs and have a listen afterwards and see if this helps.

Moisturizing the suspention will soften it and make it more flexible.

This is not a joke, seriously give it a try. It could make a night and day difference.

Don't gob the **** on, just use enough to moisturize the suspention.

I just checked the woofer spec's, don't bother putting lotion on the surround, it's made of rubber so it won't make a difference. Just stick to moisturizing the spider.

ok, by all accounts these are solid woofers, and if they're at full excursion they should be wangin pretttttty hard. Make sure they're not out of phase, because if they're both moving to full excursion and it doesnt sound very loud then that's a very possible cause.

try hooking up just ONE woofer, leave the other disconnected - if one woofer is louder than the two together then you have a wiring problem.

if your serious about selling them cheap I am in the LA area.
Justin ~ He's not in L.A. - he's in LA. Have a look under his username it clearly states that he's in Thibodaux, Louisiana. On the other end of the state from me but a heckuva lot closer to me than he is to Long Beach, California, dude.

Look at the response lines in these two charts-

RL-sealed

0.75 cu ft net volume(Red curve = you're curve)

rli10sealed6qy.gif

RL-ported (Green curve = desired sound)

1.25 cu ft net

Tuned to 26 Hz

20 sq. in. of Vent Area

rli10vented6hg.gif

From those charts it looks like the RL-i sounds like ass in a sealed box, even with cabin gain the the output will sound limited in a sealed enclosure.

the ported box however shows a reasonably straight response curve from 100 to 26hz, factor in cabin gain and that thing should wang like hell.

Forget about the lotion Idea, you have the subs in the wrong box.

as far as my location. I live in louisiana but i am in the marines and stationed at camp pendleton california. I am living in carlsbad california which is about an hour north of sandiego.

if anyone in the area wants these subs i will trade them for a 10w3v2 or if you wanna be nice and fair, a set of 10w3v2's. either way i am totally disgusted and ready to get rid of them ASAP. i will meet you within 90 miles.

i just hooked one up and it was pitiful. i will be pulling them tonight. LET ME KNOW

I totally understand what you're saying, I got dupped by a rep when looking for a sealed sub once.

That sub will kick ass in a ported box though

1.25 cu ft net

Tuned to 26 Hz

20 sq. in. of Vent Area

Are you sure the subs are wired properly? It really sounds like they are out of phase. Take a 9v battery and touch it to the speaker leads off the box. They should pop out, if they dont they are wired incorrectly. Or if they dont pop together, one cone goes up one cone goes down.

By pop I mean they cone should come up

Edit:

Alright i just read the whole thread, are they moving alot with having little to no sound coming out of them? Just flat crappy sounding bass? If so then Id take the woofers out of the box and check the coil wirings. It really sounds like they are not pahased correctly.

they are moving ALOT and making some noise but right when it seems like they should start to really wang, they pop and bottom out. they sound ok till you turn it up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

f150_on_32s

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
f150_on_32s
Thibodaux, La
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date