Front speakers cut out at low volumes

Participant count
  • Participant list

tommymilan311

Senior Noob VIP Member
I am having a problem with my front speakers cutting out at low volumes. The issue is somewhat strange. They work fine, but when I turn they cut out and don't come back on until I turn my volume up to slammin volume or they randomly kick back in after a few minutes. They cut out when I go over a speed bump too. I have absolutely no issues at high volume though. I've checked the RCAs at the amp and they are fine, amps in mounted down so it doesn't move at all. I've checked my wiring to the front doors and tweeters and I have no issues there either. The only thing I can think of is a faulty HU? I have already had 1 of these HUs replaced because my front right RCA went out.

Anybody have these issues and know what I can do to solve it?

your amp might be turning off and back on when one of the wires gets pulled, i had a loose remote wire do something similar but id go over a speed bump and the amp would kick off. turned out they gave a 500ma of current hole a 12 gauge opening and my 18 or 20 gauge wire didnt fit right lol.

but if you have a 4 channel amp and only 2 of the channels are cutting out id look at a faulty amp, loose rcas, or problems at the source

your amp might be turning off and back on when one of the wires gets pulled, i had a loose remote wire do something similar but id go over a speed bump and the amp would kick off. turned out they gave a 500ma of current hole a 12 gauge opening and my 18 or 20 gauge wire didnt fit right lol.
but if you have a 4 channel amp and only 2 of the channels are cutting out id look at a faulty amp, loose rcas, or problems at the source
Really, its only one side. Its strange. Sometimes its the right, sometimes its the left. Its a 4 channel and I never have problems with the rears.

Lately its just been the right side, I ended up having a poor connection on the left side and haven't had an issue sense. The right side though has no wire issues that I've been able to find. That is also the side my HU was faulty on the first time.

To add:

My HU goes up to 40. It doesn't seem to cut out above volume 25. I generally listen to it at 10-15 when I'm talking to people in the car and stuff like that. As I increase the volume it doesn't happen as frequently. At 20 is only cuts out on sharp turns and speed bumps. at 30+ it doesn't cut out at all.

Really, its only one side. Its strange. Sometimes its the right, sometimes its the left. Its a 4 channel and I never have problems with the rears.
Lately its just been the right side, I ended up having a poor connection on the left side and haven't had an issue sense. The right side though has no wire issues that I've been able to find. That is also the side my HU was faulty on the first time.

To add:

My HU goes up to 40. It doesn't seem to cut out above volume 25. I generally listen to it at 10-15 when I'm talking to people in the car and stuff like that. As I increase the volume it doesn't happen as frequently. At 20 is only cuts out on sharp turns and speed bumps. at 30+ it doesn't cut out at all.
swap the rcas and see if the problem moves, if it does then you can be sure the problem will be at the RCAs into the amp and up the line from there.

swap the rcas and see if the problem moves, if it does then you can be sure the problem will be at the RCAs into the amp and up the line from there.
Good call, I'll do that today, when or before I get off work for a few days. Man its gonna throw my stereo off and drive me absolutely nutz! But I'll live.

Good call, I'll do that today, when or before I get off work for a few days. Man its gonna throw my stereo off and drive me absolutely nutz! But I'll live.
it shouldn't unless you have TA and whatnot going on. my front and rear RCA's both put out the exact same signal before its filtered so its easier for me i guess lol

Id also check the depth of your speakers also..Ive had the + connection on some speakers that were grounding out on the inner door frame/arcing..not enough to throw it into protect mode but enough to drive me nuts till i found the issue and bent the connection to the side and taped the hell out of it,,Might check that out

it shouldn't unless you have TA and whatnot going on. my front and rear RCA's both put out the exact same signal before its filtered so its easier for me i guess lol
Ah, I thought you meant left with right, not front with rear.

Id also check the depth of your speakers also..Ive had the + connection on some speakers that were grounding out on the inner door frame/arcing..not enough to throw it into protect mode but enough to drive me nuts till i found the issue and bent the connection to the side and taped the hell out of it,,Might check that out
Good call, I'll check that out this weekend or Monday (holidays!!!). Thanks, I didn't even think of that. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I did have some crackling at high volume yesterday though, so that makes this seem more feasible.

So I went to figure out my problem yesterday. I started with the amp, the problem became very obvious about 5 seconds in.

6vdD7rBb6o3Mqr_G7ff5HHlpJiG39g52HR1sMNIWCcQ

just broke right off when you were messing with it?
I went to swap the fronts and rears as you suggested and it was still plugged into the amp but the wire was in my hand. I said "hmm.. well, I think I've got my problem." I've been putting off doing my steering wheel controls because I didn't wanna pull my dash apart again, well... now I have to so I'll get all that done in a day I suppose. I'm gonna match my other RCA set as those are pretty robust looking. *****, I don't wanna do my dash again lol.

scratch that, i can't find them sold by themselves. What is a decent priced cable that should hold up? I'm thinking 17ish feet.

I went to swap the fronts and rears as you suggested and it was still plugged into the amp but the wire was in my hand. I said "hmm.. well, I think I've got my problem." I've been putting off doing my steering wheel controls because I didn't wanna pull my dash apart again, well... now I have to so I'll get all that done in a day I suppose. I'm gonna match my other RCA set as those are pretty robust looking. *****, I don't wanna do my dash again lol.
scratch that, i can't find them sold by themselves. What is a decent priced cable that should hold up? I'm thinking 17ish feet.
truconnex are pretty good imo, any quality brand will do just fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.