Front passenger side speakers decided to stop working

Participant count
  • Participant list

Z3n
10+ year member

So, as much background as possible:

I've been working on a full car sound deadening project with materials from Sound Deadener Showdown. This has been going on for quite some time, so the car was not driven for quite some time. I also replaced all of the wiring except RCA's with KnuKonceptz products.

The car is nearly done, all that is left is putting the door panels on, which is where I ran into issues...

Here's what I'm running for audio right now, I'll just it all:

The speakers in question: Alpine SPS-600C 2-way component

Headunit: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X395

Amp: Boston Acoustic GTA-802 80wx2

I'm running 12-gauge speaker wire from the amp to the speakers (overkill, I know), and using Stinger 2-channel 4000 series RCA cables.

So, since the car is nearly done and all that remains is to put door panels on, I've been driving it to school and other events since the door panels aren't all that necessary. All was good, the front speakers worked fine even without the tweeters hooked up, and sounded fine.

Today I decided to get the door panels on. After getting everything to close up nicely I had to go to cross country practice before actually attaching the door panels, so off they came again. Drove to practice and the speakers were working fine.

Got back from practice, ate, and went into the garage to put the door panels on. Started with the passenger side, got the tweeters connected to to the woofer with the in-line crossover and got the door panel mounted and put all the screws back in. Started the car up to move it over a bit to make working on the drivers side easier and things went down hill. The drivers side woofer sounded fine, but the passengers side woofer wasn't producing any sound, and the only noise coming from the tweeter was some crackling and fuzzy noise.

Obviously, the first thing I did was turn the car off, take the door panel off, and see if anything was wrong. Everything looked good to me, so I had no clue what was wrong. Decided to go over and just connect the drivers side tweeter and see what happened. Connected that tweeter, started the car up and the drivers side worked perfectly, alas there was no sound from the passenger side.

So, I have no clue what's going on. I checked the amp, nothing wrong there, it just seems like the passenger side decided to stop working. My apologies for the long winded explanation, I just wanted to include as much detail as possible off the top of my head. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

z3n

have you tried different wire from crossover to woofer and it possibly could be the crossover or a RCA ch swap the ch on the amp it won't hurt, and see if the issues move to the driver side, if so could be ur rcas or the woofer is bad. try getting the driver side woofer and see if that works, that would narrow things down.

Well, for these speakers you run speaker wire straight to terminals on the back of the woofer, and then the crossover actually attaches to the woofer and then to the tweeter. Tomorrow I'm going to switch up the speaker wire and put the passenger side to the left channel and see if it works.

ahhh i see on the woofers where u do that, so it does not have an acutally crossover, yeah i would just try changing out the woofer and see if that works, b/c if the woofer is bad could be reason why ur tweet is making those noises too, i would check the RCA's 1st before you change out the woofer

Well, if anything is broken at least it's an excuse to buy something new //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

that is so true, lol, i have some great rockford fosgate 6.5 components T165S Power for sale //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

likely a wiring problem, like a slight short causing the amp channel to not produce sound but feed the short. could be in the crossover for the tweeter. disconnect the tweeter and crossover and see if the woofer works again.

Well, let's take a moment to appreciate the fact that I went full retard for a while -- my passenger side RCA had come slightly unplugged and that was what was causing the problem. Any who, now I notice quite a bit of fuzz or static coming from the tweeters... It's not so noticeable when there is music playing, but if I turn the volume down to 0 there is definitely that fuzzy static noise there. Any ideas?

z3n

stuff gets loose. that is where strain relief is important.

for static - is that with the car on or off? does it matter what source the HU is on? does amp gain affect it (i assume it does)? does HU volume affect it?

if the amp gains are too high, you can get noise.

if the RCA shield is broken, you can get noise.

That was with the car off, I just turned the key to the 'Accessory' position. I can hear it while using USB as a source and while playing a CD, I'll have to check auxiliary and tuner. Volume has a slight affect on it, and I'll check on the amp gain after I get home from work tonight.

What I noticed a while ago was I could hear the static and fuzz at the beginning of the song 'Titanium', before any vocals were present. After the introduction of the song I couldn't hear it as much.

The speakers are 4 ohm impedance. Also, on the drive to work tonight I messed around with the volume, and it had more affect than I previously thought on the static/fuzz/noise in the tweeters.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.