Front component questions.

Participant count
  • Participant list

SpankeyND
10+ year member

I got my Type R 6 1/2"s and measured them up today and no they no fit in the stock door spots. I will be making custom panels for my Caddy doors, the good news is I can pop the old panels out to replace them. So I read this from squeak in another thread:

Just as an FYI though, most car audio speakers are designed to work infinite baffle. Putting them in an actual sealed box would not be the best of ideas.
Infinite baffle means no real resistance, or open air? Then the egg crate trick or the acoustimat stuff is just to absorb the frequencies shooting backwards?

Also, the tweets, is it ALOT better to mount them up high, like the rear view mirror height vs. the stock spot I have for them which is about knee height?

Thanks!

Infinite baffle is what you describe. The only resistance is the suspension assembly. Other than that, it'll flap around on the baffle. hehe.

For the tweeters, it will vary. there are no right way to mount them. You have to play with them. Some car works well with tweeters in kick panels, some better on the dash, and believe it or not, some sound amazing with stock location (mids and tweets)

How much clearance do I need for the front of the speaker, as measured from the mouting face? Is this what xmax is? I need to figure if I need to cut out some material from my door panel.

Thx

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.