Front & Rear Component Speakers. 5.25", 6.5" or 6x9's

Participant count
  • Participant list

iApex
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Tampa
Hello guys, it's that time of the year again where income tax money is plentiful and all the bills are up to date. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'm looking to replace my front and rear speakers. I can't decide what the best combination of speakers would be in order to play loud and clean enough to hear over the subwoofer.

Current System:

Head unit: Alpine iDA-x305s

Front Stage: Alpine SPX-13REF 5.25" Components

Rear Deck: Infinity Kappa 692.9i 6x9's

4-Channel Amp: Hifonics HFi100.4

Sub: Alpine Type X 12", Custom Rebuild by PSi, (D1)ohm

Sub Amp: Hifonics Brutus BXI1610D

Box: 2.25cubes @32hz

Car is a 2001 Pontiac Grand AM Coupe

I've been looking at several options that look good from the spec sheets but I don't have the experience with them to know how they perform for sure.

I'm looking for really loud and clear high's and reasonable mid-bass for the size of speakers I can fit in the car.

For the front speakers I have considered...

Alpine SPR-50C 5.25 Components

Infinity Kappa Perfect 5.1 5.25 Components

Rockford Fosgate Power T2 T252-S 5.25" Components

or

Just scrapping the component idea and getting some 4" bullet tweeters for the front

such as the MTX RTX4BT. But I honestly don't think the sound quality would be sufficient.

For the rear speakers I have considered...

Infinity Kappa 680.9cs 6"x8 Components

Rockford Fosgate Power T3 T3652-S 6.5" Components

RE Audio XXX 6.9C 6x9" Components

Image Dynamics 6x9's

Digital Designs 6x9's

What would you buy?

I know there is a lot of options and I'm open to any suggestions or offers on speakers equal or greater than those listed here.

I have a aset of lnib infinity kappa perfect 5.1 . Got them off ebay about 8 months ago. Hit me up if ur interested. Got the woofers, tweeters and the crossovers. Linb
Tried to pm you. Clear ur inbox. I can do the comp set for 150
Did you ever put power to them? How did they sound? How do you think they would compare to the Alpine Type X 5.25" Components or the Rockford T2's?

I have cleared my inbox now, sorry about that.

What is your budget like? We can set ya up with some nice CDT gear.
I'm thinking between $250-$500 is the total amount I'd like to spend on this project. What are some of the specs on the CDT equivalents?

I have just component woofers in back crossed to play 100Hz to 750. No tweets in the back for me! just something to think about
How do the component woofers sound as far as mid-bass and rear fill?

The Infinity's I have now scream, but when I try to get any mid-bass out of them they sound distorted as hell. =/

I have CDT 6x9 coaxials in stock which I could make a good deal on, plus a set of JBL Power components would be nice for the fronts.
How are the specs looking on those? How do you think they would compare to Infinity 6x9's? How would those JBL Power components compare to the Alpine Type X 5.25 components or the Rockford T2's?

How are the specs looking on those? How do you think they would compare to Infinity 6x9's?
CDT HD-690CFX link

They would give you a different sound at similar quality. Actually, your 6x9s are already very nice. If you want to try something else that's what this would be, not a massive upgrade.

How would those JBL Power components compare to the Alpine Type X 5.25 components or the Rockford T2's?
The JBL Power speakers are designed to get a little louder than other JBL speakers. I've always read that the Alpine Type Xs are good sounding but they don't like to be pushed hard. The Power speakers would get you a bit more output. Compared to the Rockford T2s it looks on paper to be a draw. They both have features to help them sound clear when pushed hard. You'd be looking at at least another $100 to step up to the next level of speakers.

i could also set you up all around with cdt components ,new of course hd 61a components for the fronts and the hd 690 cfx for under 450 shipped CDT Audio HD-61A

CDT Audio Braxials - HD-690CFX
CDT HD-690CFX linkThey would give you a different sound at similar quality. Actually, your 6x9s are already very nice. If you want to try something else that's what this would be, not a massive upgrade.

The JBL Power speakers are designed to get a little louder than other JBL speakers. I've always read that the Alpine Type Xs are good sounding but they don't like to be pushed hard. The Power speakers would get you a bit more output. Compared to the Rockford T2s it looks on paper to be a draw. They both have features to help them sound clear when pushed hard. You'd be looking at at least another $100 to step up to the next level of speakers.
Thanks for the information guys. I ended up buying some Rockford T2's for the front and some JBL-GTO938 6x9's for the rear deck. For the price I decided I might as well **** with it. I'm not really looking to go all out on this car. After I trade this one in and get the new car then i'll sink some real change into it.

This will have to do for now.

Thanks again guys.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.