Fried amp, is it worth getting it fixed?

Cm_low

I have a guy that wants to sell me his audioque 2200.1 on the cheap because it is fried, I wanted to know some opinions on whether it is worth the buy/gamble to buy it and see about getting it repaired? Guy says he was playing it at a .5 ohm load and it just cut out and won't come back on. He sent me a pic of the internals and it looks clean except a slight burnt section around the power or ground terminal connection to the board. Any ideas or thoughts? Is it worth the gamble? Does it sound like repair is even a possibility or is this failure irreversible? Thanks in advance guys.

I wouldn't buy it. $50 for the amp

$35 to ship it to get it fixed

$xxx whatever it cost to fix it

$35 to ship it back..

For that u could just buy a new al and have piece of mind
Totally Agree I am so over even having amps repaired, You spend the money and wait all the time and sometimes it works out and sometimes it dont last long, At least with bigger amps and shipping is a killer on then depending on where you are and where its going. But then again I am also over buying used equip too. I only buy new any more and then you atleast have a waranty so if it dies then I will send it in and get it repaired and then sell it soon as its back and buy a new one for myself.

The repair shops I have talked to were right around 165-185 for the repair if it is nothing crazy to fix. This is with replacement parts upto like $65-75 included. Anything beyond this is more plus shipping. I am not sure if there is any other hidden cost that they are not disclosing. Most websites for shops say they charged a diagnosis fee no matter if you get it fixed or not but these two quoted prices never mentioned that. The approximate price I had figured was $20 for the shipping each way, at least that was the price for an amp I just shipped a few days ago. So total price is around $250-275 which I guess is correct for the amp at a used sale price. It becomes a gamble though because who knows exact repair price.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif I'm thinking not worth the risk.....unless someone else has some insight otherwise. The only way I would make out on the deal is to repair it myself...which I may do for shits and grins/fun/learning experience.lol in the end I will have learned something new and who knows may get lucky.

The repair shops I have talked to were right around 165-185 for the repair if it is nothing crazy to fix. This is with replacement parts upto like $65-75 included. Anything beyond this is more plus shipping. I am not sure if there is any other hidden cost that they are not disclosing. Most websites for shops say they charged a diagnosis fee no matter if you get it fixed or not but these two quoted prices never mentioned that. The approximate price I had figured was $20 for the shipping each way, at least that was the price for an amp I just shipped a few days ago. So total price is around $250-275 which I guess is correct for the amp at a used sale price. It becomes a gamble though because who knows exact repair price.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif I'm thinking not worth the risk.....unless someone else has some insight otherwise. The only way I would make out on the deal is to repair it myself...which I may do for shits and grins/fun/learning experience.lol in the end I will have learned something new and who knows may get lucky.
Aren't those amps like less than 400 new or close to it ? Spend the extra 125 and get brand new w/ waranty you will probably be much happier ?

I have seen them for about 400 or so new....I have researched quite a but on them and the more I research it just isn't worth it. Thanks everyone for the input I do much appreciate your advice and opinions.

There was a guy yrs ago that came into our shop all the time and hung out but he bought sound stream amps at shop down the street, he paid to have 1 big amp repaired twice like $150 each time and this was long time ago he coulda got a nice new amp for $400.. used is ok if u trust them but unless it's a $2k amp for $150 I wouldn't waste $..

FYI if you decide to have it repaired db-r or Ampmedics are the only 2 I have used with no issues.

I ran 2 at .25 each no problem for 3 months before I popped one lol. I sold it to someone on caco that repairs amps for like $60. Repair would have been $150 which is what I paid for it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.