Frequency response, octave question

Participant count
  • Participant list

22mountaineer
10+ year member

6 /\
North AL
Going to post my question that I ask in the sticky, figure no one looks at it. I'm referring to the passive vs active sticky, post 1 has a pic of freq curve with each octave level.

Re: Active vs. Passive: An attempt by me to explain

Found this in a search and I'm going to pull this from the dead due to the picture in post #1 . So when raising the octave, are you making it to where the speakers initially respond at a higher frequency? Do you change this for the speaker specs in general or do you change it for what you hear? What's the difference in what you are going to hear from a sharper curve (higher octave)? If any.

It's been awhile guys! Started a family, just bought a suburban and I need to replace all of the speakers so I'm refreshing my memory. Thanks

Going to post my question that I ask in the sticky, figure no one looks at it. I'm referring to the passive vs active sticky, post 1 has a pic of freq curve with each octave level.
Re: Active vs. Passive: An attempt by me to explain

Found this in a search and I'm going to pull this from the dead due to the picture in post #1 . So when raising the octave, are you making it to where the speakers initially respond at a higher frequency? Do you change this for the speaker specs in general or do you change it for what you hear? What's the difference in what you are going to hear from a sharper curve (higher octave)? If any.

It's been awhile guys! Started a family, just bought a suburban and I need to replace all of the speakers so I'm refreshing my memory. Thanks
define "raising the octave"

a crossover has two main aspects:

1. crossover point (frequency)

2. crossover slope (dB/octave)

if you increase slope you cause a sharper roll-off. for example, a 24dB/oct high-pass compared to a 12dB/oct high pass will let more bass get to the speakers.

if you increase the crossover point you change what frequencies are heard. so a 120Hz high pass crossover lets less bass to the speaker than an 80Hz high pass crossover.

you set points and slopes based on a combination of the speakers used (for physical protect) and personal preference.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.