Frequency of Enclosure...

Participant count
  • Participant list

Heathen

CarAudio.com Recruit
Auckland
Hallo, All.

Can someone help give me an idea of what frequency this enclosure may be ("...and show working" 😂 - so I can work this out for myself in the future)?

I saw it for sale locally for a few dollars, and I thought it would come in handy as I have a couple of little Kicker 12's with no Home.

Thanks

That looks to be more of a PA cabinet that you'd run for guitars or other live music type stuff. Likely tuned too high, too little box volume. You might have fair luck sealing up those vents and one of the speaker holes and using it for a sealed box for a single sub.

That looks to be more of a PA cabinet that you'd run for guitars or other live music type stuff. Likely tuned too high, too little box volume. You might have fair luck sealing up those vents and one of the speaker holes and using it for a sealed box for a single sub.

Yeah, it's definitely for Live Music - it has 6.5mm/TRS(?), XLR inputs.

Anyway, I wasn't sure dedicating it to one sub would be ideal. At least according to manufactures recommended enclosure size...or do they notoriously undersize recommended enclosures?

It's almost twice the volume that Kicker recommend for the little CompR.

.or do they notoriously undersize recommended enclosures?
Most manufacturers do. Your average consumer thinks bigger cone is always better will typically cram the biggest thing they think they can get away with into the smallest space. Those types generally won't even notice the difference anyway so the problem persists.

Obviously there's exceptions and you'll want to take some measurements and ideally use some box design software to confirm but almost anything prefab is too small and tuned too high and certainly a PA cabinet is designed for a completely different style speaker altogether and a completely different application than the 100hz and down people generally want a subwoofer to perform.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...