For those of you familiar with the JL W7 series...

What should i do?

• Total voters
    Participant count
  • Participant list

Sir Pay
10+ year member

I recently sold my Prowedge box that housed my 13w7 so that i could get a decent ported box. In the meantime i picked up another 13w7 that was going to be installed into another vehicle but now i am just going to install it with the other one. I have a ported box that was built by the shop.

For bass purposes would it just be better to get an identical box and face them with the speakers/port up (suv) they wont fit side by side... or go with a smaller single box that fits them both?

According to JL the specs are good for the single box but i haven't been able to find the specs for 2 13w7s in a single box. Either way the speakers will be underpowered for a month or so until i can take out a second mortgage to get another 1000/1 amp for the other dub 7.

Dont go in too hard on me since i am a virgin to this site...lol...plz be gentle...

BUILD. YOUR. OWN. BOX

or get someone on here to do it, prefab boxes are NOT good at all. You are not getting optimum performance out of your sub-woofers if you don't design the box to your subwoofer's specs.

also, for now, put the new W7 in the ported box you have, and break it in, so when you get a box to house both of them and an amp to do them justice, both subs will have been broken in.

I recently sold my Prowedge box that housed my 13w7 so that i could get a decent ported box. In the meantime i picked up another 13w7 that was going to be installed into another vehicle but now i am just going to install it with the other one. I have a ported box that was built by the shop.
For bass purposes would it just be better to get an identical box and face them with the speakers/port up (suv) they wont fit side by side... or go with a smaller single box that fits them both?

According to JL the specs are good for the single box but i haven't been able to find the specs for 2 13w7s in a single box. Either way the speakers will be underpowered for a month or so until i can take out a second mortgage to get another 1000/1 amp for the other dub 7.

Dont go in too hard on me since i am a virgin to this site...lol...plz be gentle...
What are you expecting from your w7's? They are supposed to be a good combination of sq/spl, but are really more sq. If you got them to be loud I'm afraid you purchased the wrong woofers. Second, JL's box specs are fine for the average street beater, which is apparently what you're going for. Don't look at panel measurements etc as much as box volume and tuning. Put those specs into the torres box calculator and find out what the net volume is and what the tuning is. Then you can build another enclosure with double the volume (lots of bracing) and the same tuning (double the port area AT LEAST). That is essentially what you want. Just google torres box calculator. Don't ask for a link. Take those dimensions to your local box builder and have them build it for you. Don't get a prefab or you've wasted your money. Speakers are only a small part of the equation. The box is the most important part.

Next, there is no such thing as underpowering subwoofers. The RMS rating is the maximum you want to apply to those woofers. By no means is it a goal to shoot for. You're fine with 1 1000/1. Just set the gain properly as per a gain setting tutorial and you'll be fine. Don't take out a second mortgage for car audio. Use some sense in your life.

op you know you could save a crap load of money getting a different amp for them right?

but anyway.

if you have the skills to build the box yourself then get a design done by ram_designs (i do them as well but he is far better than I) and get some mdf and build it.

if you dont have the skills, then contact pro rabbit, or post up a thread looking for a box builder in your area, and get one built.

Thanks for the comments. The prowedge did just fine as it related to sq. My system was fine on the high end but i started getting that itch for a lil deeper bass while keeping the quality so i decided to go ported. I like the sp that the ported box puts out but since i have 2 of the dub 7's i might as well utilize both of them. I will look into some box designs and further exhaust my options. thanx!!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...