focal vs alpine

I can't comment on the Focal set, but I can do so on the SPX set since I own one.

- They are not a fierce or aggressive set of components... if you want hard and thundering midbass, you might want to consider something else.

- They are very detailed with sound reproduction... pure SQ is the goal with this set, which they happily offer up.

- The passive crossovers let you custom tune the set based on listening distance and angle for the mids and tweets... and the settings do make an audible difference.

- They can be biamped.

The focal comps are actually very nice at high volume. They do some really nice things with their tweeters. Components will also give you a little more control on sound and placement.

thank for the responses

i've read about not natural sound of type x because of too details .. what r your opinion? which one has a more natural sound?

thank for the responsesi've read about not natural sound of type x because of too details .. what r your opinion? which one has a more natural sound?
The X has a very natural sound. Woofer cones are compressed wood fiber... way more dense and durable than paper cones and musically, they sound quite warm. Tonal reproduction and detail is about the best you can get for the price IMO.

But, as I previously stated, they are not an aggressive component set. Don't except thumping loud midbass if that's what you are looking for. They are so clean and detailed you likely won't even realize how high you have your volume turned up... of course, this will also be very dependant on the quality of the install as well as the quality of the accompanying HU and amp.

Do some research on the Vifa XT line-up... those are what the X's are derived from.

If you want a very good set of comps in a similar price range, check into the Rainbow SLC265 Kicks.... they have more aggressive midbass (hence the "Kick" moniker) and are quite detailed from the reviews I've read.

I should ask PremierAudio if he has any that I can audition since we're both in the same city. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

Define "natural". Speakers are like icecream... there are different flavors... and natural is not one of them.

The Focals are more forward and some people won't like them unless the tweet and mid are installed in kick panels.

Alpine has soft dome tweeters which roll off before metal tweeters in most cases... the Alpines' will be more forgiving of less than optimum speaker placement, and are a better value.

I own the X 5.25s, To be honest I'm just very disappointed, don't get me wrong they do sound amazing, but as stated the lower mid is just blehhh

the sensitivity is ****

but the clarity is all there

unfortunately, I have to turn them up a lot more to hear them over the other less quality speakers!

Define "natural". Speakers are like icecream... there are different flavors... and natural is not one of them.
The Focals are more forward and some people won't like them unless the tweet and mid are installed in kick panels.

Alpine has soft dome tweeters which roll off before metal tweeters in most cases... the Alpines' will be more forgiving of less than optimum speaker placement, and are a better value.
I don't know why "natural" is not on the approved adjective list for speakers. It tells me just as much as the term "forward."

I like natural. I understand what you are saying DejaWiz. Forward to me means the same thing as more of a "in your face" sound, upfront. Natural to me means more laid back, smooth, not harsh or to bright.

I have heard the Focals and I thought they sounded really good.

Never heard the Alpines but hear good things about them.

Just depends on what you want and like as usual.

I like natural. I understand what you are saying DejaWiz. Forward to me means the same thing as more of a "in your face" sound, upfront. Natural to me means more laid back, smooth, not harsh or to bright.
I have heard the Focals and I thought they sounded really good.

Never heard the Alpines but hear good things about them.

Just depends on what you want and like as usual.
That's exactly what I meant. Natural meaning laid back, warm, and clear... nothing overemphasized or harsh. Not in your face, boxing your ears, and beating your brains in by creating an aggressive soundstage.

Um, to me, natural means flat or accurate. It means the sound is reproduced naturally, without adding tonality or coloration.

Maybe an expert can jump in and tell us what it usually means in the audio world, because warm and laid back doesn't sound right for some reason.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.