Focal Component Selection

Is it set in stone that you're going to pick up Focal's???

I've only heard the lower line a few years back and thought they were kinda bright.

Some people like it that way but i personally don't.

Have you ever considered Rainbows, Dynaudio, Hertz, or even DIY?

Good luck and have fun with whatever you do decide to get //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Is it set in stone that you're going to pick up Focal's???I've only heard the lower line a few years back and thought they were kinda bright.

Good luck and have fun with whatever you do decide to get //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
I heard a set of K2P 3-ways here in town. I was personally blown away. I don't mind a bright tweeter as long as it isn't harsh like MB Quart or Infinity. I would definitely consider doing Rainbow, Dynaudio or Hertz except I would prefer to hear them first. I'm not very comfortable doing DIY as I'm still fairly inexperienced in car audio. I also am aware that $1200 is a lot for a passive set-up however the sound quality I heard was astonishing. Sitting in the demo car (which had just switched amps from an Audison to a JL HD900/5 and was completely untuned on the amp side besides the gain) I wanted to go get all my favorite songs and listen to them in the demo car. So as of right now unless I'm about to hear other speakers, I'm pretty stuck on Focal.

Check ebay thats where im getting mine im getting 3 sets of the K2P 130VR's:D
What kind of subs are you running and how many? your obviosley going for SQ right?
Be very careful with eBay as others have said. I plan on only running 1 RL-i8 and giving it a solid 450W RMS. Yes I'm definitely going for SQ. I'd rather something sound great than sound loud.

be careful where you buy Focal's on line, have read/heard where Crutchfield is the only "authorized" online focal retailer, could end up with being ripped off.
Sonic Electronix seems to be legit and doubt they would be selling the KRX3s without being licensed sellers. However, thanks for the heads up and I'll definitely look into making sure I'll be warrantied and whatnot.

Is it set in stone that you're going to pick up Focal's???I've only heard the lower line a few years back and thought they were kinda bright.

I agree with the lower line Focal's tweeters being unbearably harsh on the ears but the higher end sound amazing, especially when you give them the rated power.. they do get bright if you underpower them (or so it seems in my vehicle; that's why I got the 300/4 bridged running only the front speakers).

To my ears, the Access tweets are better than the Polyglass. That's listening on the display wall, switching back and forth being powered by a Steg 2ch, all EQ set to Flat. The K2Ps are pretty amazing, but if you go 3-way and do the midranges/tweets in pods on the dash, you should really go the extra step and do kicks for the midbass and get them on the same axis as the pods. Staying passive, it will make tuning and staging a lot easier/better.

To my ears, the Access tweets are better than the Polyglass. That's listening on the display wall, switching back and forth being powered by a Steg 2ch, all EQ set to Flat. The K2Ps are pretty amazing, but if you go 3-way and do the midranges/tweets in pods on the dash, you should really go the extra step and do kicks for the midbass and get them on the same axis as the pods. Staying passive, it will make tuning and staging a lot easier/better.
I was going to put the mid-bass in kick panels. However, my clutch pedal doesn't make it feasible to do so.

Hey RunninRedline,

Before spending 1200 on a set of Focal's,you might want to look into Hybrid Audio.

you can talk with the owner scott, which he is very helpful-please read & look through this info.

http://www.hybrid-audio.com/legatia_three_way.htm

http://www.hybrid-audio.com/downloads.htm

http://www.hybrid-audio.com/news.htm

http://www.hybrid-audio.com/demo_cars.htm

http://www.hybrid-audio.com/team_hybrids.htm

http://www.hybrid-audio.com/team_hybrids.htm

When you buy something from Hybrid Audio they will help you choose whats best for car.

1200 is just a lot to spend on a passive comp set!!!

most companies that start up in the 1000 range will suggest going active.

plus like many of these guys keep saying, be careful who you buy Focal off the internet from.

to bad you couldnt just drive maybe 50-100miles out of your way to hear other companies, like Hertz milles,Im wouldnt buy another passive comp set except the Hertz Milles

The tweeter is open & airy with a nice top end, plus that small tweeter can be xover pretty low.

the upper mid is one of the flattest mids i've heard to date.

the lower midbass is equal to focal k2p's & is one of the best sounding mids on the market.

I went to a local shop last week to order the shallow 8inch mid from Hertz, the shop i went to was full of BS.

so im going to go to another shop in the sf bayarea & hopefully they will order it for me.

Remember we are in a recession & companies arent doing that well, you shouldnt have to pay the dealer mark ups, so look around for the best deal you can find.

think about how much that dealer or any dealer pays for a speaker.

The reason so many guys do diy is because you can pay around $200-$500 for raw drivers & it can sound just as good as those Focal's @ 1200 or even better.

i know this thread is kinda old, but i thought i like to put something down on the rumor on focal being harsh. Yes they can be pretty bright, and no you dont really need an eq to tone it down. I have tried various amps out, and notice that the amp can make a massive impact on the brightness, or w.e you wanna call it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.