Poked a tiny hole in one of my focal 130 a1's today, what can I do?

Participant count
  • Participant list

mwe-maxxowner
10+ year member

So, I installed my focal 130a1 components into my front doors today, and put my infinity coax's in the rear doors. When I was working on screwing in one of the mounting screws on the passenger side midrange driver, I slipped, and stabbed a little pinhole into the rubber surround connecting the cone to the outer frame of the speaker. Really upset myself there.

Finished installing, and so far everything sounds fine, but, I can't imagine this will lead to anything but problems eventually. So, what are my options without spending another 300 bucks for a set of speakers? Can I somehow buy just that one midwoofer? Or can I buy a set of midrange woofers, which would have to be cheaper than the whole kit with the tweets and crossovers and everything. Or, just try to bide my time until I see a defective set on ebay, and hope at least one of the midranges are fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sell the set you have at half price, get a new set and learn how to use a screwdriver.....but thats just my opinion.

Or you could just put a dot of silicone over the hole.

Okay, I was planning on putting a dab of silicone on, but didn't know how this would hold up over time. I was afraid maybe it would cause a tear that would get larger with loud music playing. Thanks for the sarcasm chemmins!

A little silicon should seal it back up and last a long time. If it's really small I wouldn't even mess with it...I only silicon surrounds when there's a good size tear. A little screwdriver hole isn't going to really affect anything.

Okay, thanks guys! I guess I was just worrying too much. Never have I spent much on messing with good speakers/amps until this truck, so I'm a little new to this stuff. Until this truck, the best "system" I ever had was sony xplod 6.5's, 2 pioneer "800W" 12's on a sony "1000W" 2ch amp. Lol, I thought that was great back then. Was just a little panicked at messing up a speaker in a 300$ pair. I still think I'll dab some silicone, door panels are ridiculously easy to remove on this truck.

A little silicon should seal it back up and last a long time. If it's really small I wouldn't even mess with it...I only silicon surrounds when there's a good size tear. A little screwdriver hole isn't going to really affect anything.
agreed. You could also use clear nail polish if your really worried about it, works good on very small tears/holes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.