Flak banned on US moddels why?

Flack is a loss less compression format which is available in European units but is totally void in the US units so why the restriction in the so called land of the free
I take it you mean FLAC.

It's available on aftermarket head units. I don't think I've ever seen it on any stock HU, though, but anyone who would go out of their way to rip/download FLAC files probably wouldn't be happy with a stock HU anyway.

I can't imagine FLAC support would be on stock european head units either. The vast majority of people don't even know what FLAC is, so why include unnecessary audio features when you're trying to keep costs low in what is first and foremost a vehicle.

Best bet is to use ALAC on your iPod, then USB to the head unit. ALAC is the equivalent of FLAC, but the Apple support version. I don't think there is a restriction on FLAC...Maybe there is no demand for it, or some technical limitation that makes it to expensive for integration into head units.

FLACs are huge in file size too, I don't use them for that reason lol

Flack is a loss less compression format which is available in European units but is totally void in the US units so why the restriction in the so called land of the free
Kenwood makes some double DINs that support .flac via USB, I had one and it sounded great.

all compression formats are uncompressed when played and a file compressed in Flac will have the same bit count of the original file so no degeneration of the sound unlike MP3 as even at 320 there is loss which is why FLAC is called a lossless compression

all compression formats are uncompressed when played and a file compressed in Flac will have the same bit count of the original file so no degeneration of the sound unlike MP3 as even at 320 there is loss which is why FLAC is called a lossless compression
Id be willing to bet you cant tell the difference between properly encoded 320kbps MP3 and a FLAC file in a blind test.

The Pioneer DEH-X8700BH does both HD radio and FLAC playback.... Just the first one I found by googleing "HD radio and FLAC playback"... took about 3 secounds, lol.

Flac is pretty pointless unless you listen to very few songs. 30+ MB per song adds up quick. I can tell (seem to be one of the few) that can hear a difference between 320 Bit rate and Flac/equivalent, but it is barely noticeable.

And as we have pointed out, there are tons of aftermarket head units over here that support Flac...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

magnusfl

magnusfl
tampa fl
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
adulbrich