Fixing Broken Car Amps

mike I have a couple of Orion amps and a PPI amp I need to get repaired. I just blew my Orion 400.2 and I have a 600.4 that produces a whine when activating the internal x-over. The PPI 4400.2 turns on but blows speakers when hooked up.

thanks

Just wanted to let everyone know, I sent Mike a Orion HCCA 250 G4 on Friday 1 week ago and got it back this last Saturday via FedEx. That quick turn-around is probably the exception rather than the rules as he told me he was waiting on parts for some other amps and mine was a simple fix. Thanks Mike.

mike I have a couple of Orion amps and a PPI amp I need to get repaired. I just blew my Orion 400.2 and I have a 600.4 that produces a whine when activating the internal x-over. The PPI 4400.2 turns on but blows speakers when hooked up.
thanks
OH OH, I know that one!! When an amp blows speakers up it is because it is sending AC to the speakers.. Something along the lines of it not converting the DC to AC voltage correctly or sumshit like that..

Mike, didn't read through the entire thread but I'd like to know, do you mod amps? I have a few in mind that I would like to get modded.. Would you be able to improve an amps sound quality and or output power?

BTW, I have an asston of amps in need of repair, do you fix Mmats amps? At the moment I have a pair of SS D200IIs that I would like rebuilt and if possible, improved for SQ, I have a first gen Hifonics Zues VII that I would like hotrodded, Mmats D2000.1 that needs repair, PPI AX400 that needs repair. Will be picking up 3 JBL GTOs that also need repair.. Where were you when I had all those PPI amps that needed fixing?

Your thoughts?

I fix all brands of amps so it should be no problem. As far as modding the amps the only mod that could be really done to the ones you have is differnt caps in it to make it have better sound quality . And in my honest opinion As far as the hifonics zeus amp you have i wouldnt mod it if it was my own some people dont like that and it will decrease in value if you try and sell it sometime in the future

OH OH, I know that one!! When an amp blows speakers up it is because it is sending AC to the speakers.. Something along the lines of it not converting the DC to AC voltage correctly or sumshit like that..
something along the lines of the output's are blown, I'm a computer guy and I wish I would of learned circuit boards back in the day. Guess there is no time but the present to start.

When outputs fail in an amplifier it sends out DC voltage to you subs. For example say the rail voltage in the amp is 40 volts and you blow the outputs in the amp in return now you have 40 volts DC comming out of the speaker terminals and that = blown subs. Also there can be other problems with an amp that causes DC voltage on the speaker terminals and not be the outputs 1 example you have bad solder joints on driver cards or the driver card is defective due to leaking caps and such.

When outputs fail in an amplifier it sends out DC voltage to you subs. For example say the rail voltage in the amp is 40 volts and you blow the outputs in the amp in return now you have 40 volts DC comming out of the speaker terminals and that = blown subs. Also there can be other problems with an amp that causes DC voltage on the speaker terminals and not be the outputs 1 example you have bad solder joints on driver cards or the driver card is defective due to leaking caps and such.
good info Mike. The PPI is sitting here staring at me and this Orion. When I contacted Zed on this Orion, Steven said it might be possible to do an upgrade on the Orion which includes a capacitor, IC chipset and power transistor upgrade. It's an Orion Xtreme 400.2, would you recommend an upgrade on this or is it not worth it?

Mike, I have JBL BP1200.1 that has mosfetts and capictors, I think that is what they are I don't know too much about the inner working's of amplifiers. But I want to know about how much it would be to repair it.

The orion would be cool to upgrade and i think its worth the money if you want better SQ out of it.

The Jbl amp whats it doing? Stuck in protect,not powering on?

The orion would be cool to upgrade and i think its worth the money if you want better SQ out of it.
The Jbl amp whats it doing? Stuck in protect,not powering on?
that sounds good, I love the sound of it so would love to send you the 600.4 and 400.2 for repair and upgrade. Any rough estimate on the 600.4 upgrade? You can pm of course, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.