Fixing Broken Car Amps

I never stated that the resistors were all that were wrong with it, I am just passing on the obvious issues as a starting point so simmer down spoon head. I have 30 years experience in car audio so I know a thing or two. I am not worried about cost to repair it, I just want it working again. I will send a PM. The amp is my brother in laws, he had a way to small power wire feeding a 600W amp so it comes as no surprise to me that the amp is damaged. Just trying to find someone to fix it for him.

Hey Mike i have a question about my amp. it is a arc audio 1500xxk. It powers on with no protect lights or any power issues but it has no sound....i opened it up and looked around and noticed it has 2 boards in side i guess one for sound input and the other for the out put... and it as a wire ribbon conecting them together...the riboon area looks like it is burnt i would like to know it you ever dealt with an amp like this and if that would be the problem with it??

thanks for the reply..

this is a picture of the damged wire ribbon area..

On the arc audio amp Were the ribbon cable is solderd to the board it appears to be flux on the board. Theres a couple things you need to check first off. Do you have a digital multimeter?

On the arc audio amp Were the ribbon cable is solderd to the board it appears to be flux on the board. Theres a couple things you need to check first off. Do you have a digital multimeter?
I do not.. I may be able to get one.. what things would i need to check?

I never stated that the resistors were all that were wrong with it, I am just passing on the obvious issues as a starting point so simmer down spoon head. I have 30 years experience in car audio so I know a thing or two. I am not worried about cost to repair it, I just want it working again. I will send a PM. The amp is my brother in laws, he had a way to small power wire feeding a 600W amp so it comes as no surprise to me that the amp is damaged. Just trying to find someone to fix it for him.
I wasn't aiming my comments at anyone in particular as there are many similar post in this thread. Sorry if you took offense to it. Really just trying to offer a tidbit of what I feel is helpful information. Take it however you want but it was meant merely as a suggestion to help make the whole repair quote process easier.

You need to test all of the outputs to see if any are shorted if not then you need to test to see if the amp is producing + _ rail voltages and + - regulated voltages first off

My Planet Audio P2250D sparked and smoked tonight. Only been running 1000w at 2ohm when it should be able to do 1600+ at 2.

Was playing a fairly bass heavy song, heard a crackling sound, head unit shut off for a second, saw a couple sparks and smelt something burning. Im guess its a mosfet. Not sure of the extent of the damage. The fan in it has been extremely loud, pretty sure it was getting ready to die. Maybe it did and caused it to over heat.

Whats an estimated qoute?

Also, my cousin has an old cheap 2 or 4 channle that just goes in to protect mode. Not sure of any other details. If he's got the money Ill see about packing them together to save shipping.

The planet audio amp your looking in the 50.00 to 60.00 range to fix the amp.The other amp i would have to know what kinbd it is and a modle number to give you a estimate

You need to test all of the outputs to see if any are shorted if not then you need to test to see if the amp is producing + _ rail voltages and + - regulated voltages first off
will this meter work and what exactly am i testing the channels or the rca inputs?

yes that meter will work. You need to set the meter to DC voltage. Hook power ,ground and remote to the amp do not plug in rca jacks or speaker wires. Power the amp on place your black probe on the amps ground terminal. take the red probe and test each leg of the outputs they are 3 legged devices on the sides of the amp closest to the rca jacks . Check to see if you have rail voltage on any of them . For example place black probe on ground terminal of the amp and touch red probe on leg 1 of the output then touch red probe on middle leg of output then place red probe on leg 3 of the outputs post your results as followed

1:

2:

3:

Whats the voltages on leg1

whats the voltage on middle leg

whats the voltage on the 3rd leg

yes that meter will work. You need to set the meter to DC voltage. Hook power ,ground and remote to the amp do not plug in rca jacks or speaker wires. Power the amp on place your black probe on the amps ground terminal. take the red probe and test each leg of the outputs they are 3 legged devices on the sides of the amp closest to the rca jacks . Check to see if you have rail voltage on any of them . For example place black probe on ground terminal of the amp and touch red probe on leg 1 of the output then touch red probe on middle leg of output then place red probe on leg 3 of the outputs post your results as followed1:

2:

3:

Whats the voltages on leg1

whats the voltage on middle leg

whats the voltage on the 3rd leg
alright ill have the info by the end of the day.

ive got a kicker zx1000.1 with a capacitor that exploded. PO stated the amplifier got wet and let the magic smoke out... board is pretty toasty but it doesnt seem to have any holes in it. i planned on sending it out to kicker but i noticed this thread and just figured id ask for an estimate. thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.