First time fitting an after market head unit with wheel controls, please help!

Participant count
  • Participant list

GizzmanSL2

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey, sorry if similar posts exist but many are out of date and I am still a little confused. I would like some advice on what parts to buy for my Corsa D to be able to fit an aftermarket single din stereo while keeping the steering wheel controls intact.

Car: Vauxhall Corsa D 2011 1.4

Current stereo: CD 30 MP3

This is the stereo I am purchasing:

Sony DSX-A416BT

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/son...qjpQdtob9Fcz-EZAgt9CKHvyz3MITawpVmWUxXclI5fwA

Does the Sony stereo head unit come with the required wiring hardness already in the box or do I also have to buy one of these and if so what ones are compatible with the above stereo:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074S7ZH78/

I am confused over what steering wheel adapter control to buy as there are at least 4 and all look similar:

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/vau...g-wheel-stalk-control-adaptor-ctsvx003-2.html

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/vau...ng-wheel-control-stalk-interface-adaptor.html

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/vauxhall-corsa-d-2009-2014-steering-wheel-stalk-control-adaptor.html

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/con...2009-2014-steering-stalk-control-adaptor.html

and will I need to buy any other ISO hardness’s or does this all come with the above kits?

e.g. https://incartec.co.uk/product/Vaux...arness-with-antenna-adapter-hardwire-ignition

I know I will need a Sony patch lead, single din adapter facia and double din removal tools, all of that I can get myself, but will I also need an antenna adapter for the radio?

I am also very confused whether I need to wire the stereo in using the red/yellow cable for power/ignition as some people/harnesses’ say you need to while others do not, does anyone know if I need to on my car and if so, any idea as of how?

I am terribly sorry for the questions and post, but I am in desperate need of some advice here, as long as I know what bits I need I think I can fit it all ok, many thanks everyone for putting up with me 😊

All head units will have a harness that plugs into the back of the head unit. You either need an adapter harness to connect the wires from the head unit to your factory harness, OR you depin your factory harness, pull it out, and rerun the pins. It's a fair amount of work, and if you ever plan on going back you have to put it all back instead of just plugging it back in. You would be looking for an aftermarket harness for your vehicle, and it's much easier that way, plus you can set all the pins right while sitting on the toilet, the couch, or wherever you choose, then plug it in, instead of working head deep into your dash. (Yeah get that if you can, and you match up the wires and it's ready to plug in, when you are ready for it, instead of figuring out all of that mid-install).

All four of those look exactly the same. What aftermarket companies are notorious for doing is not labeling things correctly or universally, (usually because more than one person does it). Then you have multiple names for the same item. Which is all that looks like to me. One is Vauxhall/Opel, one is just vauxhall, one has connects 2 in the name, you get it.

Antenna adapters are usually because of how the antenna plug in is, combined with the space behind it. If you need one, it's most likely a 90 degree plug because there isn't efficient clearance behind it, (if there isn't it will cause interference if you put stress on the cable). If it says you need one, you probably do, but it's only one style, it would just depend on the shape to route it.

You should have two "power wires". You have a battery/12v/power wire (which on Sony, the last one I had was yellow). This supplies all the power to run the head unit, (especially if it powers your speakers), and stores your memory. You then also have an ignition/accessory "power wire". That wire is a switch/(power BUTTON) wire, and turns on and off when the key is in and on. If you wire them differently than that, then your head unit will stay on when you take your keys out and walk away, which will kill your battery.

You're good,

All head units will have a harness that plugs into the back of the head unit. You either need an adapter harness to connect the wires from the head unit to your factory harness, OR you depin your factory harness, pull it out, and rerun the pins. It's a fair amount of work, and if you ever plan on going back you have to put it all back instead of just plugging it back in. You would be looking for an aftermarket harness for your vehicle, and it's much easier that way, plus you can set all the pins right while sitting on the toilet, the couch, or wherever you choose, then plug it in, instead of working head deep into your dash. (Yeah get that if you can, and you match up the wires and it's ready to plug in, when you are ready for it, instead of figuring out all of that mid-install).

All four of those look exactly the same. What aftermarket companies are notorious for doing is not labeling things correctly or universally, (usually because more than one person does it). Then you have multiple names for the same item. Which is all that looks like to me. One is Vauxhall/Opel, one is just vauxhall, one has connects 2 in the name, you get it.

Antenna adapters are usually because of how the antenna plug in is, combined with the space behind it. If you need one, it's most likely a 90 degree plug because there isn't efficient clearance behind it, (if there isn't it will cause interference if you put stress on the cable). If it says you need one, you probably do, but it's only one style, it would just depend on the shape to route it.

You should have two "power wires". You have a battery/12v/power wire (which on Sony, the last one I had was yellow). This supplies all the power to run the head unit, (especially if it powers your speakers), and stores your memory. You then also have an ignition/accessory "power wire". That wire is a switch/(power BUTTON) wire, and turns on and off when the key is in and on. If you wire them differently than that, then your head unit will stay on when you take your keys out and walk away, which will kill your battery.

You're good,
Hey, many thanks for all that very handy information, I guess I could just try any of those connect2 boxes then and make sure I get the rest to go with it.

Thanks for the wiring info also, this confuses me the most, so I guess I have to wire up the power wire to somewhere on the fuse box but do you know where the other 'ignition' wire would need to be wired so the unit can turn off?

Many thanks for all the help, I am taking it all in bit by bit

Both of those would be wired to your factory head unit, those are the best places to grab em from. Your car should not be wired directly to the head unit. There SHOULD be a harness where your factory head unit plugs into. You take that out, and you make sure the wires going into the head unit, match up where they are on the vehicle, and plug in your new harness adapter.

Both of those would be wired to your factory head unit, those are the best places to grab em from. Your car should not be wired directly to the head unit. There SHOULD be a harness where your factory head unit plugs into. You take that out, and you make sure the wires going into the head unit, match up where they are on the vehicle, and plug in your new harness adapter.
Yeh, you know what I have seen that on some videos on YouTube where some people just use the harness and do not wire anything in, and the radio works as it should, holds memory and turns on and off with the key/car start.

But I have also seen videos where people say you must wire the unit in to a spare wire in the fuse box or the 12v accessory using snap clips or scotch locks etc, otherwise the unit will not turn on properly which leaves me confused even more.

I just want to be prepared and have what I need so it looks like I may just buy it all lol and send back what I dont end up using, thanks bro

Yeh, you know what I have seen that on some videos on YouTube where some people just use the harness and do not wire anything in, and the radio works as it should, holds memory and turns on and off with the key/car start.

But I have also seen videos where people say you must wire the unit in to a spare wire in the fuse box or the 12v accessory using snap clips or scotch locks etc, otherwise the unit will not turn on properly which leaves me confused even more.

I just want to be prepared and have what I need so it looks like I may just buy it all lol and send back what I dont end up using, thanks bro
That might depend on the head unit. Some can use a 5 amp fuse, some a 10amp, some a 15amp fuse (if / depending on how much it's powering the channels/speakers) If it's 50w x4 that 200x / 14.4 = 13.8amps. Your new head unit should tell you what size fuse it needs. If its larger then what you have in there now, you can start with seeing if the wiring size can handle it. If not, then you would need to run your own new wire.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...