First system, want to do it right!

Participant count
  • Participant list

gdub

I have a E36 model BMW 328is with stock speakers. They are pretty much blown. My head unit is a Kenwood KDC-MP819 which is two years old and either needs a cleaning or is done for since it now wont accept any cds. I have decided i need component speakers and the size is 5 1/4. I am looking for sound quality first and formost. My listening tastes are all over the map, mostly electronic music, jazz, and hip hop. My price range for components is about 300-400ish. I want to amp them too. I want my system to feel complete, not just boom boom, so would i need a dedicated mid bass driver to cover all frequencies or what?

Also, the 5 1/4 driver is located near my ankle past the door.. Would that mess up my SQ since it is directed towards my feet, opinions?
Not really. Most components are designed with being off axis in mind. It is better to be directed towards your ear but it wont effect it drastically.

That is a very big price range so options will be plenty. Is the 300-400 just for the front component set? Do you already have an amp for them? What about rear speakers?

I dont have an amp just yet. I plan on getting one right after my components. After reading, ive got the thought in my head that i only need components and no rear fill. its only a two door and people almost never sit in the back. Plus, im not worried about their sound quality, only the driver (me).

thanks a ton dude. maybe this should be a thread all by its self in a diff. part of this site, but ive heard installs on BMW's are kinda tricky. I plan on doing it myself as i want to learn about car audio, not pay someone to do it for me. Are BMW's really notorious for being hard installs?

I have never worked on a BMW personally. There are a couple people on here who do own one. Maybe they will chime in.

But I would imagine it is just as difficult as any other vehicle. Your main concerns would only be speaker placement/positioning, and wiring. Making sure you are able to mount your selected speakers will aid in the install. So check your mounting depth, speaker cut out...

If worse comes to worse baffles are a thing of beauty:)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.