First Project

kbkid
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Virginia
I have been reading and comparing prices for a while now and I still cannot make my mind up on what I want to buy. I got my first piece of my system for Christmas and that was a Pioneer 8600 headunit. I drive a 1997 Ford Explorer. I want to go with two 15" subs and an amp to power them and then a set of comps with an amp.

I would like the amps to be from the same brand and I will be running the subs in a sealed box until I decide I want more bass. I have a price range and it is $1200 for subs, amps, and comps. I need size 6.5 components. I want a good mix of SQ and SPL. So if you guys could point me in the right direction I would appriciate it greatly.

Kyle

I don't know if you need 2 15"s, but that' up to you. A couple twelves in the right box will give you all the SPL of a 15 and more sq in the process. My opinion however.

There is a lot of good equipment out there so much of this is personal preference. If you want 15's then look into RE. Even their twelves. You can push it/them with Hifonics Brutus 1500. Lots of power for decent money. For your comps there are just too many to list. CDT Audio, Image Dynamics, MB QUart, Boston Accoustics... they're all good, though CDT's will cost you the least money. To push the Comps there's Arc Audio, JL Audio, Zapco, the list could go on forever. The point is don't get too stressed about it, if you're listening and researching then whatever you finally land on, will be good stuff. The install is almost the more important part. Junk installed correctly will still sound better then high end installed hap-hazardly.

I am well aware that the install is the most important step. I was thinking about going with Arc Audio amps but where would be the cheapest place to get them. I do not want anything off of e-bay. Also, I do not want to get anything that is cheap. I want to spend my money right the first time so I will not have to keep buying and buying the equipment. I am only 16, so I have limited funds.

I don't know if you need 2 15"s, but that' up to you. A couple twelves in the right box will give you all the SPL of a 15 and more sq in the process. My opinion however.
There is a lot of good equipment out there so much of this is personal preference. If you want 15's then look into RE. Even their twelves. You can push it/them with Hifonics Brutus 1500. Lots of power for decent money. For your comps there are just too many to list. CDT Audio, Image Dynamics, MB QUart, Boston Accoustics... they're all good, though CDT's will cost you the least money. To push the Comps there's Arc Audio, JL Audio, Zapco, the list could go on forever. The point is don't get too stressed about it, if you're listening and researching then whatever you finally land on, will be good stuff. The install is almost the more important part. Junk installed correctly will still sound better then high end installed hap-hazardly.
How do you get more SQ from 2 12s instead of 2 15s?

I understand what you're saying, and believe me I understand limited funds and wanting to do it right the first time.

All the products I listed are good products. Nothing "cheap" in that bunch. So it boils down to preference. For instance, MB Quart and CDT comps both use metal tweeters (last I checked) and can be "bright" even harsh at times (can be controlled with eq) but are very crisp. Boston Accoustics is known for a very "warm" sound (softer, subtler). All are detailed and quality, so it depends on the sound you want. Really the best way to make this decision is to go to your local dealer and listen to as many as you can.

So far as where to find Arc Audio for the best price, hopefully some one more knowledgible then I will chime in and help you our there. They didn't have a list of Internet dealers on their site, but they did have a local retailer search engine (lotta help I am, lol).

How do you get more SQ from 2 12s instead of 2 15s?

15's are bigger, slower and harder to control speakers. Throw enough power at them and they'll do the best they can, but still won't have the sq capability of a smaller speaker.

15's are bigger, slower and harder to control speakers. Throw enough power at them and they'll do the best they can, but still won't have the sq capability of a smaller speaker.
That's where you are wrong.

Any size speaker , PROPERLY built - is capable of keeping up with the music.

Do you know that the box is what determines how the driver will sound?

I listen to a variety of things so my taste in sound will defer with different music. The local shops around here are horrible, thats why I refuse to buy from them anymore. They don't have much of a selection in the speaker department. So now I am confused. I was thinking about going with the two 15" SEs, but would they be my best bet for a 15" sub in my price range. Arc, Zapco, US Amps, DLS, Orion, all of them I have looked into and the Orion's seemed to be the cheapest amps, but would I be happier spending the little more money to get the better stuff?

CDT does not only has metal tweets, they come with silk as well.

CDT would probably be your best bet. djdilliondon and tplaya07 can hook you up with a good deal. Same with DLS I believe. They are both very good sets, and the fact that you can get a good authorized deal makes them a very good choice.

As for amps, I would go with Orion out of those. $1200 isn't that much cash, and there is no point spending a large chunk of that for amps. Components and subs are far more important in making a good sounding system. Orion makes a good product, and they will hold up well.

Best place to start looking for good Arc Audio amps would be the classifieds of a number of car audio forums. Though they still won't come cheap. Mine still cost more than half of your budget (decent deal, though I know the ballpark of what they get to the dealers for). USAmps might be found from djdilliondon or tplaya07 though, so check them for that as well.

2 Tempests-300

1 MA Audio M1889i-130

1 sheet of wood for box-23

1 MA Audio M289i-110

1 pair of DLS MS6's from Tplaya07-225

All that will pound, all that is shipped prices

can you say, way under budget //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

If your still bent on arc audio however, your going to have to find an authorized dealer. OR you're gonna have to bite the bullet and buy used. Not all things from ebay are bad.

I'm not set on anything but the headunit I already have. I just want high quality equipment so I will not want to buy better stuff soon. If that makes sense.

Nobodies bashing it I was just curious because it doesn't have a very high price tag on it. Not meaning it is better or worse than any other I just didn't know. So would the Tempest be better than two RE SEs?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.