First KnuKonceptz Purchase

neo_styles
10+ year member

AKA Pop Twidget
WA
Items Purchased: TCA 14ga Speaker Wire, Klarity RCA 5m (x2), CCA 0ga (6ft), 0ga to 4ga adapter (x2), and MiniANL Fuse Holder

I just made my first purchase on Knu for the items mentioned above. Total was just over 50 shipped. Ordered on Saturday, delivered to my door in Los Angeles today via USPS Priority.

TCA Speaker Wire

First and foremost, this stuff is CRAZY cheap. At 22 cents a foot, I considered it a no-brainer. The stuff is amazingly flexible and well-jacketed. I don't have a gage dial, so I can't confirm it's true to gage, but looks like it is on visual inspection.

Klarity 5m RCA

Got two of these, one for the front channel and another for subs from the deck to my amp. Like that they're well sheathed (again, seems to be a trend with Knu), but noticed that for the built-in remote wire, there's barely any actual wire in there! If someone knows, can you tell me what gage I'm looking at here? I'd swear it's 50. Realistically, it's probably 28, but I don't even know how I'm going to strip this wire without cutting off completely. Or what barrel connectors I can use that will keep a grip on it. I think Knu intended for you to solder this one in. For now, it loses points, but I'll give some back as long as it does the trick.

KCA 0ga Ground Wire

OK, there's no way this stuff is 0 ga. I have 0ga sitting in my trunk right now that a buddy got me from his shop. The bare wire in this stuff is the size of that entire wire, including sheath. More like 00 gage, if such a thing exists. Point is, it's beefy and probably the largest chunk of bare wire I've come across yet. Even so, it's INSANELY flexible. I didn't realize something with this high a strand count could bend so easily. It's borderline flimsy, but you know, in a good way. Kinda glad I got the 4ga adapters for this stuff because I'd rather use that than shave it down. The definite winner of the haul and I will be ordering more of this stuff when it's time to upgrade the rest of my wiring.

0ga to 4ga adapter

Not much to talk about here except it looks pretty well machined and the set screw seems rugged enough to take a gronk or two. Verified to work in both 4ga inputs of my amps (see sig).

MiniANL Fuse Holder

This was more of an accidental purchase considering I wanted to get the ANL, but I'll make it work since I've got plenty of 4ga and am only wiring to one amp. I was just too lazy to call back and change the order...I do like that it includes the 8ga plug so you don't need to excessively turn the set screw. The 150a fuse that came with it is rugged, but I was disappointed by the fact I had to completely remove the retaining screws on both sides to fit the fuse. At least I know it's not coming out any time soon. Construction is solid, plastic seems pretty durable, but only time will tell how well it holds up. Bottom surface is as flat as Kiera Knightly's naughty bits, so double-sided tape to mount to the battery will hold easily.

As for customer service, looks like they have it well taken care of. Shipping was insanely fast considering it came from the other side of the country in just three days (Priority normally takes at least one more to come here) and I received shipping notification before USPS did.

I will update this review as I do my install this weekend as far as ease of routing is concerned as well as function. And pics will follow...just need to charge the camera. I don't want to take these with the iPhone. You deserve better quality.

While I'm waiting on the camera to charge, I pulled the 0ga I already had out from the car. It was GME which I've found at plenty of shops locally. Putting that next to my fuse holder, It looks like it'll fit in just fine. So maybe it's more of a diss against GME, but outer diameter is the same on both.

OK, so I promised pics...this'll be going over two separate posts.

First,

DSC00824.JPG

Everything shown except for the TCA speaker wire. I rolled that up on a 50ft spool of Arista 16ga I emptied and set it aside.

DSC00825.JPG

DSC00826.JPG

Here's the Klarity RCA. At first, I wasn't pleased with the fact that the endcaps are plastic, but realize that could actually help out with blocking out unwanted interference. As you can see in the second shot, the remote wire is THIN. I was able to successfully strip it using a pair of Vise-Grip cutters I got on Amazon (highly recommend if you'll be stripping wire often.

DSC00827.JPG

DSC00835.JPG

DSC00836.JPG

Look at all that pretty conductor wire...I wasn't kidding when I said this was the most copper I've ever seen. The second photo really shows off the difference in quality. And I even included the third for the obligatory flex test which it passed with flying colors.

DSC00828.JPG

DSC00829.JPG

Once again, nothing special, but I do like the rugged quality of that set screw. Looks like it can take some abuse.

DSC00831.JPG

DSC00832.JPG

DSC00833.JPG

DSC00834.JPG

Now for the fuse holder. Clean, simple, no fancy shmancy voltage meter. The underside definitely looks ready for some double-sided tape...just wish it was included.

DSC00837.JPG

DSC00839.JPG

DSC00840.JPG

Finally, the speaker wire. Sturdy insulation, definitely true to gage, and I like that the sheath has just enough tack to make it stay put when set down on a solid surface. Some people make theirs too slick and it drives me nuts. I got 30 feet of this stuff and after laying it all out, I think I'm gonna upgrade the HT wire to this stuff as well. Big bonus is that the negative side has a thick black stripe running the entire length of the sheath. You shouldn't have to worry about confusing polarity with this stuff.

That's it for now, I'll post up some pics of this stuff in place. I'll use up as much of the 0ga as I can on the Big 3 and probably order more as necessary.

Knu usually makes great wire... but I have lost faith in their RCA's... They look solid but I've been having noise issues and one of my friends knu sets, well one of the 4 channels went out. IDK...

Knu usually makes great wire... but I have lost faith in their RCA's... They look solid but I've been having noise issues and one of my friends knu sets, well one of the 4 channels went out. IDK...
Worst case, I'm out 7 bucks and I'll just order a pair of dblink or something else, but I'll remain optimistic. It's definitely better visual build quality than what I normally run into.

Worst case, I'm out 7 bucks and I'll just order a pair of dblink or something else, but I'll remain optimistic. It's definitely better visual build quality than what I normally run into.
I am not trying to criticize you in the slightest.

It's just what I've seen. I had a HUGE KNU bill not so long ago. I am trying some different rca's now...

I am not trying to criticize you in the slightest. It's just what I've seen. I had a HUGE KNU bill not so long ago. I am trying some different rca's now...
You know I respect your opinion, West. I'll be keeping my eyes/ears out for issues during the installs. RCAs will be the first culprit if things go sour.

That GME wire is definitely junk, the Knu wire is some of the biggest 0 gauge available though, so you're right for the most part. It doesn't come close to 00 wire though (which does exist lol).

Knu makes great stuff, except RCA's, they're pretty much junk IMO. The plastic endcaps always slide off, which is very annoying, the remote wire is tiny, and the pins are very fragile, I've got 2 sets of them with the pins broken off. I use Monster RCA's now, much better quality, justifies the price IMO.

That GME wire is definitely junk, the Knu wire is some of the biggest 0 gauge available though, so you're right for the most part. It doesn't come close to 00 wire though (which does exist lol).
Knu makes great stuff, except RCA's, they're pretty much junk IMO. The plastic endcaps always slide off, which is very annoying, the remote wire is tiny, and the pins are very fragile, I've got 2 sets of them with the pins broken off. I use Monster RCA's now, much better quality, justifies the price IMO.
The knu huggers got me suckered too... I have only reciently noticed problems.

Just trying to help... the set I bought last year has been rock solid though.

Well shit, now that's two against the RCAs. At least I didn't order the basic pair like I was going to originally. Crossing my fingers even tighter...At least, to my advantage, I don't swap out gear that often, so once I install this stuff, it's not really going to be moving. But I've already got backups in mind for RCAs...kinda expected that going in.

Well ****it, now that's two against the RCAs. At least I didn't order the basic pair like I was going to originally. Crossing my fingers even tighter...At least, to my advantage, I don't swap out gear that often, so once I install this stuff, it's not really going to be moving. But I've already got backups in mind for RCAs...kinda expected that going in.
Honestly... it's an analog transfer as long as you dont hear excessive noise your good.

Our comments aren't about your choise in wire... we are both kinda pissed at knu. For the lack of Kwality of rca's. The set I had from before is **** near perfect.

I see what you did there...very Korny. What did their kustomer support say when you told them your RCAs were bad?

I see what you did there...very Korny. What did their kustomer support say when you told them your RCAs were bad?
I honestly didn't bother...

I probably should have. My revenge is sweeter by telling people not to buy their rca's... Their speaker and power wire is Rock solid though...

I honestly didn't bother... I probably should have. My revenge is sweeter by telling people not to buy their rca's... Their speaker and power wire is Rock solid though...
7 bucks or not if the RCAs are bad I'm at least fighting for a refund.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

neo_styles

10+ year member
AKA Pop Twidget
neo_styles
WA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies