Obsidian 12" DVC 2-ohm subwoofer

nvturbo
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Review of OBSIDIAN 12" DVC 2-ohm (version 1) subwoofer:

First of all, I purchased the sub from ObsidianOnly.com. The sub was on backorder for about a week.....which was the only bad thing about this review. The sub is wired in parallel to 1 ohm mono inside a custom made 2.0 cubic ft ported (hatchback style) box, tuned to 35Hz. The port used was a 4" flared Precision Port with a length of about 11" long. For the power I am using to drive this sub, it sounds PERFECT when listening to different genres of music. All my previous systems have been sealed box enclosures, ranging from Orion XTR (red), Lanzar, JL Audio 12W3, etc . The boxes were smaller but the output CANNOT compare to the Obsidian.

*** Honestly, you can't really beat a great sounding sub for under $160 shipped. ***

Power Handling: 600 watts RMS

Recommended enclosure info:

Sealed ~ 1.0 to 1.5 ft^3

Ported ~ 1.75 to 2 ft^3 @ 30 to 35 Hz

12d2_bstock.JPG

zn50l3.png

Last edited by a moderator:
MUCH, much better. For the 12W3, the box was right about 1ft^ sealed powered by a Rockford Fosgate 100DSM. Even though the box is about 2x the size for the JL 12W3, there is no comparison between the two when it comes to sound quality and bass response.

At first, I was thinking about getting a 12" Audioque sub but they don't have them in 2ohm DVC. Honestly, I don't regret buying this sub at all.

I don't think it's fair to compare subs when one was in a sealed and the other in a ported
Yeah, of course the obsidian is going to be louder, its back wave isn't trapped inside a wooden acoustic prison

any pictures of motor and cooling/venting?
Obsidian12D42.jpg

sjv13, even though it's comparing apples to oranges, the Obsidian sub sounds a lot better than the JL Audio 12W3. I didn't play the W3 that hard and the sub didn't last but a year or so.

alec14, from what I've read the V2 subs are an improvement over the V1's. Check them out @ Obsidian Only

I have the v1 d4 OA12 and I love it to pieces. I actually just traded a 15 L7 I had laying around fro a second V1 and some cash. I want the V2 bad, but my .02 is Obsidian is fantastic either way you go. My original V1 has seen 3 amps in 6 months and waay more power than is "recommended" and its still never even got warm, and no stinky coils at 1000w for $160 daily is pretty darn neat.

I couldn't agree with you more, noKings. I'm glad I decided to go with Obsidian instead of Audioque or any other brands. I'm pushing 600+ watts into my sub and it hasn't flinch one bit.

I couldn't agree with you more, noKings. I'm glad I decided to go with Obsidian instead of Audioque or any other brands. I'm pushing 600+ watts into my sub and it hasn't flinch one bit.
I wish more people would give them a shot. Customer service was great too, and I've heard the same thing about obsidianonly.com.

Golf looks sweet too. My buddy has a MK3 he wants to make an amp rack similar to yours to get it out of the way, did you build yours or buy it?

I like my obsidians but they deff need better cooling.
Next setup is 2 HDC4s.
I thought the V2 addressed this. Didn't Nick add additional venting, like 4 more smaller holes around the existing vent from the V1?

You have the V1 or V2?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

nvturbo

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
nvturbo
North Carolina
Start date
Participants
Who Replied