First car Audio purchase in 10 years, advice would be appreciated

jasonjm

LA
So, I'm pretty much out of touch a bit.... haven't looked at car audio in about 10 years.

I have a new Mazda CX-9 SUV with a bose system and mazda nav system, which must go of course... (both the bose and nav)

So any advice on what I should/shouldn't do would be appreciated..... here is what I figured out maybe what I should do using the internet lol

1) head unit, kenwood DNX9140 with steering integration, and backup camera

2) ask installer if he can run USB cable to dash or center console so I can keep a 500 gig western digital hard disk there (as I understand it the kenwood DNX9140 accepts these?)

3) left and right dash kicker ks350 powered by kenwood

4) pioneer premier TS-D802p in all 4 doors, (6x8s)

5) find out where the bose sub lives, and replace it with JL AUDIO 8w3v3-4 in a custom enclosure? or not?

6) alpine PDX-5 in trunk storage space hidden somewhere to power 6x8s x 4 and the sub?

ah well thats all I got for now

because its mostly sucky

OK if you have never used nav before

but im spoilt so it doesnt meet the grade, also I cant handle any navs that shut off while im driving.

also nav/music center has no built in media storage, and I have around 200gb music

Also doesnt have ipod navigation (true integration, not that I even have an ipod, but just saying that would be one way of using it)

i was thinking of using something like western digital passport?

the one that just runs off usb cable no external power? better check if kenwood will run that i guess

You should have just opted to not get the Bose because I can tell you typically having OEM audio "upgrades" are a general PITA.

Get ready to completely rewire your car. Bose systems are generally a pain in the ass to work with. The system you put together sounds good. If I were you I'd just ditch the dash speakers all together- 4 6x8s on a PDX5 would be fine. You may also want to look into the possibility of getting a set of 6x8 components for the front and bridging the amp to them, then running the rears off the head unit.

I'd also look into some sound deadening to get the most out of your door speakers.

You should have just opted to not get the Bose because I can tell you typically having OEM audio "upgrades" are a general PITA.

i wish, but there is no way around it, get AWD and ground touring and guess what? BOSE is including every single time, no way around it.....

yes a few of the install guys said I would need to rewire car completely - but I mean it should not really be any more work than rewiring a non bose system right? I can't imagine I would have really been able to reuse any of the stock wiring for non bose system?

Get ready to completely rewire your car. Bose systems are generally a pain in the ass to work with. The system you put together sounds good. If I were you I'd just ditch the dash speakers all together- 4 6x8s on a PDX5 would be fine. You may also want to look into the possibility of getting a set of 6x8 components for the front and bridging the amp to them, then running the rears off the head unit.
I'd also look into some sound deadening to get the most out of your door speakers.

the front has always been a point of confusion for me, thanks for advice

what if I only put some components in the front doors? and no 6x8s in front?

l- on front doors something like Infinity Reference 6820cs, which are 6x8 woofers with their separate 1 inch tweeters that can be mounted in door triangle area up higher?

whats ur budget? maybe some of the things you chose could be better depending on ur budget.
dont really have a budget

if something is worth it (like hugely better) I will pay for it, I just generally don't like paying top dollar for marginal gains, usually the middle of the range stuff is where best value is...... of course if there is better of the middle range stuff that I should know about I am all ears.

component speakers > coaxils

powering speakers with headunit = no good

Get a good set of components up front and a sub in the back. Forget the rear speakers. Alpine pdx is a good amp choice though.

l- on front doors something like Infinity Reference 6820cs, which are 6x8 woofers with their separate 1 inch tweeters that can be mounted in door triangle area up higher?
Please don't purchase any Infinity door speakers unless you like ear piercing highs and no mid bass.

What's your prefered genre of music?

Please don't purchase any Infinity door speakers unless you like ear piercing highs and no mid bass. What's your prefered genre of music?

I really listen to everything, classical, rock, hiphop, trance, audio books

what are better component speakers?

thx

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.