First attempt at a budget system

Participant count
  • Participant list

alex16

All of this is going into a 1999 Civic coupe.

Current setup

HU

XO Vision X349NT

(has no pre outs so I have some wired into speaker wires...terrible)

Front

1 kenwood 6.5'' 2 way

1 JBL 6.5'' component

2 infinity tweeters w/original crossover (the infinity mid range drivers had the rubber separate)

Rear

original 1999 honda 6x9s

sub

1 MTX 10'' Thunder 5500 150-300W RMS@4 ohm in a MTX "loudest 10 on the block" ported box

boss ava-550 2 channel bridged 100W Rms X 2, bridged 200W RMS@4 ohm

Planned upgrade

HU

Kenwood KDC-BT755HD

(3 pre outs, lots of extra's 108 shipped new out of box, never installed)

Front

JBL GTO608C 6.5-Inch $64 shipped (they claim 70w RMS@2 ohm so they say it will work with 4 ohm)

Rear

JBL GTO938 6x9 $65 shipped (they claim 100w RMS@ 2ohm and will work with 4 ohm)

Front/Rear amplifier (once front/rears/hu installed) $100 shipped

JBL MA6004 320W 4-Channel Class AB 60W Rms X 4@4 ohm 80W Rms X4@2 ohm

sub

1 MTX 10'' Thunder 5500 150-300W RMS@4 ohm in a MTX "loudest 10 on the block" ported box

boss ava-550 2 channel bridged 100W Rms X 2, bridged 200W RMS@4 ohm

The mtx bass setup I have owned now for about 7 years. I paid 50 for the box/sub at a pawn shop and I've had crappy newer boss amps that claim 1000W max on it and it would produce enough bass to make my nose itch. It may not give high SQ but I'm not looking for the best, I'm just trying to have mids and highs that can match the bass and a clear sound with little distortion at levels slightly above max output of my current setup. Any input welcomed. Not sure if my basic setup should require me to use new speaker wire/dynomat/6.5 enclosure and what not. I wish I had the money for a DEh80prs and some jbl high end components but this will have to be a budget build.

those jbl comps are pretty decent I've got a pair crossed at 80hz and I've been feeding them 100 watts per side and they take it just fine, tweets are a but harsh to me though. id get a decent 4 channel though, you'll be running all 4 channels at 2 ohms and some lower end 4 channels will heat up when running them like that. id think the jbl would be ok. as far as the other equipment I haven't used. id ditch the 6x9s though. I've got a 01 civic and with amped fronts you can't even hear the rears.

Good to know. I'll keep the stock 6x9s and get the amplifier first. I know the MA6004 is designed for marine applications but the low price and features are tempting.

Yeah man, Id say run that all. It'll be, hands down, way better! Just know a built box will change everything. Post up results of what you think too, itd be interesting to hear.

I had the kenwood KDC-BT755HD and it was great, it made a huge improvement to my current crappy speakers, but it was defective. I returned it and added some cash to buy a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X797 for 125 shipped (it should be arriving December 30th). I also ordered my JBL 6.5's GTO608C components, they should be here tomorrow 65.00 shipped from amazon. As far as a mid range amplifier I am up in the air, Looking for something decent but really want the cheapest I can get by with.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.