First 6th order build, trying to grasp the concept

Participant count
  • Participant list
Tell me if I have a clue what I'm talking about, or if I'm way off:

6th order series tuned is basically a ported box inside another ported box, right? I mean, that's what it looks like to me anyway. From what I've read on various forums in the last couple of days, I gather that the "inner" box (rear chamber,) should be built slightly smaller than spec for required volume (I don't really understand why, but I saw this on two different sites) so if my sub calls for 4.25 ft^3, build it for say 4, or maybe even 3.75 ft^3 and tune for my sub's Fs (29.6.) Then for the "outer box" (front chamber) build it to 1.5-3 times the volume of the rear chamber and tune to the 40-50hz range. Yes? No? Am I close?

I've only built a few series tuned 6th's, or clamshells. Rear tuning needs to be as low/lower than you plan to play as sub will unload easily below tuning. Front tuning should be at least 1 octave higher than rear tuning. Mine was to spec for ported size/port area for the subs I used.

You need a TL and build it so you can mess with front/rear tuning/port sizes to dial it in. Def not as easy as ported or a 4th order but they can be HELLA loud if done right....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.