finishing up my box....need advice

302yota
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
well i've got all of my sides cut out (except for my top plate)...and all of my cuts are no more than around 1/16th of an inch (first time with a circular saw).....but when assembling all the pieces, and/or screwing them together...is there anything i need to know about "predrilling, filling, sealing, bracing, or anything else", what are the best ways to do this, if all of that is necessary.

Go to Home Depot, and pick up a box of SPAX self tapping wood screws. Will save you a TON of time.

And put the side pieces up first, NOT the front or the back. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Hope that helps.

so ur saying, use the bottom to assemble the sides to, and then procede to the front and back sides, and last put the top on....if so how will i know that the port is sealed with the bottom of the top plate...btw i have liquid nails, and some silicone will that work.....how long will those screws need to be with 3/4in mdf board?? will the wood not split using them?

i trust you ls2, and i'm gonna go with no pre-drilling, only because i'm to lazy to do that....what about the length of those screws?
1"1/4" - 2" would work. Too much longer and it will be a PIA.

I would suggest in buying like 10 long clamps //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif That's all I use, clamps and glue.

Self-tapping wood screws, a good wood glue, clamps.

If you're carpeting the box, recess the side ~1/4", so that you have an inward fold to cut against, so the carpet gets a much better finish.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.