Finally, the Jeep JL build

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
Sep 11, 2020
Ohio
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Class D for subs is where it's at. I'm so glad the boxes worked out man, can you email me some pics of them? Of just the boxes? We went through so much to get those done.
Lmao yeah we did. The only pics I have are in this thread, but I could email them later if you want.

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
Sep 11, 2020
Ohio
Couple weeks since my last update, since I haven't had any time off of work to get more done. I have been listening to it and tuning.

Front stage tuning is nearly there. Overall it sounds excellent, but still a bit of minor tweaking to do. For instance, there's a certain frequency in Mariah Brinks voice that either my mids or tweets to not like. I have to dial back the volume a couple of notches for her music or I hear a little bit of distorted/static like sound from the dash. Still searching for that to dial it back a bit.

Subs. The subs have plenty of out put. On some music they sound excellent, and on some they just muddy things up. For instance, anything hip hop or electronic they are great. Some rock they are even awesome, for instance Scream by A7X sounds incredible, however I do believe the bass in that song is electronically enhanced. On the flip side, anything by Slipknot for example is basically unplayable. I end up almost muting the subs for most non enhanced bass metal. Tuning has helped, but I still can't get it exactly where I want. Some bass notes for instance drone loud, and sometimes when I expect there to be some bass in a song it's absent.

I think that I'm going to mess around with running 4 of these drivers sealed instead of the 2 ported to see if I can find what I like there. This looks like it's going to be a bit of trial and error to get the lows dialed in exactly where I want them. I am very picky about how my music sounds unfortunately. Luckily the drivers and amps are cheap for my setup, I can grab a second kicker and 2 more subs for ~$360 plus tax, that'll give me more room to experiment. I do hope my electrical is up to the task, as that will push me to 2400-2500 total system RMS. There has been some discussion as of late to what you can really push on stock electrical in these new jeeps, so I'll report back and let you guys know whether or not it likes running that much power stock. I have considered the big 3, but I'll have to do some inquiry on how to go about that since this vehicle comes factory with 2 batteries an alternator and a generator.

Reactions: Buck

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
Sep 11, 2020
Ohio
Small update tonight. I planned to build one of the sealed boxes today since I had the day off work finally. I did not anticipate how much of a pain in the ass this box would be though. Measuring and cutting panels one at a time, then recutting said pain after I make the next one and suddenly this one needs modified. But, I got the enclosure basically finished.

Still a bit ugly yet though. The rear of the enclosure tilts backwards, the top drops heigh front to back. This made doing that radius to match the seat curve very difficult. The mdf corner looked like some twisted pyramid when finished, and still didn't sit exactly perfect. So, I ended up glassing the radius. I also glassed the hinge cutouts you see on the rear there, as building them required many pieces and I was concerned with strength and sealing issues. Overall, it's coming along well. Just need to finish sand and primer, then I can check volume and determine if it is achievable to run 2 subs in one box here. Physically they'll fit great, but I really need to net about .7 cubes here ideally.

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
Sep 11, 2020
Ohio
Still messing around with the dual 6.5 sealed setup. I'm also toying around with the idea of grabbing a JL 10tw3 and running it sealed down firing. Really just more experimenting and having a little fun testing different setups. Also discovered what bass qualities I personally like, as my audio tastes are changing as I age. I no longer enjoy my car rattling louder than the subs.

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
Sep 11, 2020
Ohio
10tw3 should be here Monday, toying around with some cool box ideas, not sure where I'll go with it yet. Plan is to toy around with it, and if I like it I'll order a second. If not, I'll send it back. Love Crutchfields return policy.

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
Sep 11, 2020
Ohio
Another Update. Decided everything should be pretty well broken in, so I bumped up the gains a bit on the amps. Holy shit. These morels get so loud and remain crystal clear, it's almost unbelievable. The subs are struggling to keep up a bit on some tracks, I may need to push those gains up just a hair. Should be plenty of room left, I left it intentionally low for the first month/month and a half.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
Another Update. Decided everything should be pretty well broken in, so I bumped up the gains a bit on the amps. Holy shit. These morels get so loud and remain crystal clear, it's almost unbelievable. The subs are struggling to keep up a bit on some tracks, I may need to push those gains up just a hair. Should be plenty of room left, I left it intentionally low for the first month/month and a half.
Are you talking about the 6.5 subs here?

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
Sep 11, 2020
Ohio
I messed with them a bit on my way to work. Pushed the power up a bit, my amp and my line driver both have clip lights, so I make sure to stay well south of that point. I got the volume up some, enough to compliment the music, however at one point something strange happened and hopefully I didn't blow them. They started to play louder, but also more loose. Like something let go, not sure. I haven't had time to check them out. There has been no smell from them, no clip lights, and no noticeable distortion at high volumes.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
I messed with them a bit on my way to work. Pushed the power up a bit, my amp and my line driver both have clip lights, so I make sure to stay well south of that point. I got the volume up some, enough to compliment the music, however at one point something strange happened and hopefully I didn't blow them. They started to play louder, but also more loose. Like something let go, not sure. I haven't had time to check them out. There has been no smell from them, no clip lights, and no noticeable distortion at high volumes.
They may still be breaking in man.

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
Sep 11, 2020
Ohio
Me too man, just seems weird after a month of playing them several hours a day most days. Fingers crossed, I've been working all day so haven't had time to mess with it. I really don't believe I was overpowering them or clipping the signal, but can't be totally certain of that. Again though no smell or heat. I continued playing them the remaining 20 minutes of my drive and they seemed to play fine, just sounded a little off and louder.

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
Sep 11, 2020
Ohio
Put another 6 hours on them, I guess they're fine lol. 10tw3 showed up while I was at work today. This is a beefy bastard for a slim 10.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
Yeah they are different, the volume is nice, unfortunately they sound more sloppy now.
It may just be the nature of the subs and being ported. Those subs seem like trying to make 6.5's heavy bass woofers vs a SQ woofer. Have you tried shrinking the box at all?

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
Sep 11, 2020
Ohio
It may just be the nature of the subs and being ported. Those subs seem like trying to make 6.5's heavy bass woofers vs a SQ woofer. Have you tried shrinking the box at all?
I haven't as the box is already undersized according to manufacturer recommendations.

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
Sep 11, 2020
Ohio
Started on the new box for 2 JL 10TW3's. This box will mount on the rear tailgate, subs forward port to the side. I designed this box myself, 1.2 cubes net volume slot ported to 35 HZ.

Note that the gap seen between the side panels and back panel (back panel faces down in these photos) is simple because I haven't attached the back panel yet, it's jutlst sitting on top. It's actually almost perfect once clamped up and glued.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds