Fiberglass

Banned?? lol...no one has been banned from here for a long time. It's unmoderated. CACO on the other hand wouldn't put up with his crap.

Use as much wood as possible. Wrap the entire piece, if you only do half and try to feather into the piece it will always crack. Use a stapler to attach to the back of the piece so the felt wraps around the edges. Use chopped it contours better than woven but is slightly harder to work with. Also thinning the resin helps it to soak in. Use acetone to thin most resins.

[quote name='dmuney']@ Boomin_tahoe. I agree but I can see that some people need to learn some respect

@JohnKuthe watch what you say, and you should learn some respect, let this be a warning we don't allow this type of stuff on this forum
Or You Will Be Banned

You say your not an expert yet your giving advice why not let somebody with years of experience chime in and verify your info

Me personally I prefer fiberglass some do some don't but it is the proper way different materials will work yes but how well I agree it's only for tweeters but the next person asking for fiberglass help may need to know how to do it correctly he may want to build a wall for 4 15's, how many layers of felt do you think he should use or how many layers of fiberglass ? It all depends that's why we have experts here chiming in to inform people proper techniques

Yes anybody can use whatever they want but if you do it wrong for a particular application bad things can happen.
One last thing John Kuthe don't ever disrespect people on this forum again

SA 12-D4 x2 Old School PPI amps & 31 eq, Pioneer HU, Focal fronts, Mechman, 4/0 & 1/0 everywhere,Interstate batt x3 6cuft 28Hz[/QUOTE]

I said I dabbled in fiberglass, in my teens with my model airplanes! So I understand the basic principles of fiberglassing.

You gave some good informations BoominTahoe! Thank you.

John Kuthe...

ROFL!!! Like I need YOUR MONEY?! Ha!
Now jump HIGHER, d a m m i t! Lying PUPPET!!

John Kuthe...
You should change your perspective on these threads and how you hold yourself in them.
Picture standing in a garage with a group of guys, maybe a cold one in your hand. Not your thing, I know. You know why? Because in that group of guys, you would be the awkward fuck who gets bitch slapped from time to time. We would all basically be showing patience with your stupid ass until it was time for another one of us to slap you again. But you would hang around knowing that none of us likes you and there's another slap coming your way.

Can you please scale back the stupidity and the over-eagerness to respond like a fucking immature prat? Just for one week. Try it.

Thanks a lot man !
please confirm if i'm right :

for my tweeter pods, if i go for fabric only, no fiberglass, i can use 4 or 5 layers of felt or fleece;

I stick the first layer using spray adhesive;

Mix resin with hardener, with the proper ratio of course, and spread it all over until it's nicely soaked;

repeat for every layer;

Once at the final layer, i sand;

Mix some filler with resin and spread it all over;

i sand;

fill the larger spots with the mixed filler and resin;

i sand;

fill the smaller spots with Bondo putty;

i sand;

Aerosol primer;

whatever the paint finish i want ( might use a Truckbed coating for the undercoat, to keep the factory touch of the trims and some matte black for the to coating)

that's it ?
Ya I just built some for my truck and couple words of advice and I am no pro but they came out really nice. Dont use spray glue to gluedown the fleece because the resin will desolve it and fleece will come loose - LOL huge disaster on my first attempt. I ended up using hot glue and it worked great. Also spend alot of time working the fleece to get it smooth and no wrinkles so later sanding will be very easy and fast. You also need to drill a bunch of holes through the plastic a pillar and the resin will seep through and keep it tightly bonded together. I didnt use any fiberglass just resin and fleece and probably have three coats of resin on them and there really strong. Its a great skill to master and have at your disposal. I have since made door panels for two sets of door speakers. If you have any questions pm me I am always happy to help as someone guided me on my first set too.

You should change your perspective on these threads and how you hold yourself in them.
Picture standing in a garage with a group of guys, maybe a cold one in your hand. Not your thing, I know. You know why? Because in that group of guys, you would be the awkward fuck who gets bitch slapped from time to time. We would all basically be showing patience with your stupid ass until it was time for another one of us to slap you again. But you would hang around knowing that none of us likes you and there's another slap coming your way.

Can you please scale back the stupidity and the over-eagerness to respond like a fucking immature prat? Just for one week. Try it.

Do the same thing I did...ignore the bastard.

Hope everyone does the same.

Ya I just built some for my truck and couple words of advice and I am no pro but they came out really nice. Dont use spray glue to gluedown the fleece because the resin will desolve it and fleece will come loose - LOL huge disaster on my first attempt. I ended up using hot glue and it worked great. Also spend alot of time working the fleece to get it smooth and no wrinkles so later sanding will be very easy and fast. You also need to drill a bunch of holes through the plastic a pillar and the resin will seep through and keep it tightly bonded together. I didnt use any fiberglass just resin and fleece and probably have three coats of resin on them and there really strong. Its a great skill to master and have at your disposal. I have since made door panels for two sets of door speakers. If you have any questions pm me I am always happy to help as someone guided me on my first set too.
Thanks man !

i guess it's gonna be my little winter project, patiently waiting for spring to finally get that sound installed !

Thanks man !
i guess it's gonna be my little winter project, patiently waiting for spring to finally get that sound installed !
Do yourself a favor and practice a little on something you can throw away after you're done. It'll take a few rounds of practice to get a feel for working with it and learning the pitfalls. Get a couple pillars out of a boneyard or just a random piece of scrap. Fiberglass is VERY permanent so be confident of your abilities before you apply to your car.

Get yourself a respirator for applying AND sanding, have acetone around for cleanup, and again US Composites are really helpful if you need supplies or need to know what materials will work best for you.

^^^ good ideas as well ! I always use bone yard parts and keep my stock parts so I can always put it back stock if I get tired of the ones I made. And respirator is very important tip. Also I meant to say you can get cheap chip brushes from harbor freight too and I mix in solo cups a little at a time preventing waste .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^ respirator is very important tip.
of course ! i'm an industrial construction project manager, Health and safety at work is always priority #1 ! It'd be very stupid if i wouldn't prioritize my own health when part of my job is to make sure workers around me take care of theirs...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.