Fiberglass box build TURNED down.. Please read. Did ask for too much?

No I told him to his face what I wanted and he said OK.

to your face he tried to get the sale but then thought about it a bit and realized 1000 bucks was not even close to enough to deal with a "needy" customer

The owner will almost ALWAYS say "yes" they want money!!! The installers are the ones usually pushing back on the owner telling them what they can and can't accept in some cases

Like most of the people on this thread have said, you can't expect them to give you a step by step instruction booklet of how they did there install. This is a BUSINESS and to stay in business you can't let all your secrets out of the bag otherwise any shmuck on the street would be doing it.

Now say you need certain pictures because your going to compete and need it for judging that is a different story.

As for an itemized list of materials, they quoted you a price, you either like it or you don't.

If you simply gave them a overall idea of what you were looking for and gave them some free range for creativity I think you wouldn't be in this situation, but again like what OP have said, no one wants an anal customer questioning every step they took.

The owner will almost ALWAYS say "yes" they want money!!! The installers are the ones usually pushing back on the owner telling them what they can and can't accept in some cases
Like most of the people on this thread have said, you can't expect them to give you a step by step instruction booklet of how they did there install. This is a BUSINESS and to stay in business you can't let all your secrets out of the bag otherwise any shmuck on the street would be doing it.

Now say you need certain pictures because your going to compete and need it for judging that is a different story.

As for an itemized list of materials, they quoted you a price, you either like it or you don't.

If you simply gave them a overall idea of what you were looking for and gave them some free range for creativity I think you wouldn't be in this situation, but again like what OP have said, no one wants an anal customer questioning every step they took.
exactly i cant count how many times bosses have come to me saying i agreed to this and me telling no thats retarded...and i can all but guarantee you thats what happened here

i as an installer would have turned you down as well...just that email alone in the mind of any installer is the sign of a customer that is more work then the job is going to be worth....

for future reference instead of trying to make an installer into the "prefect" installer do your research on his/her past work and find someone you can trust tell what you want and let them do the leg work instead of you telling them what they need to be doing.

Their shop, so it's their rules. If you don't feel good about it then you gotta go somewhere else...
In all honesty, that's the truth and you can't expect the shop to change their ways just for you just because you want them to.

If you are unsatisfied with how they operate, you need to find a different shop. It is a major liability for you to be in the installation area, but I've been to a few shops and they've invited me when they were showing me a few setups while they had guys working. Some are more protective about it than others, because they don't want to be held responsible for any accidents that involve you.

Material list they should not have to provide. If they allow you to provide the material, but it and give it to them. 9 layers is more than plenty. Granted I don't know too much about fiberglassing, when I had my enclosure for my DD 9515 with several amps on that sub (RF 500a2, Treo SSX 1500.1 and Soundstream XXX 6500, the 4 or 5 layers that was used seemed to be plenty, although it was only two sides of the enclosure that was FG'd.

Basically, you can't change how they operate and they are not going to change for you. If you want something different, you will have to look for a different shop.

BUT What if the owner when I first walked into the shop said OK to my terms? He did too and didn't seem to have a problem with it.

until now. which is a big WTF
This.

He wants money so he says yes. All the installers refuse to let a customer tell them how to do it. they explain their position and the owner eventually understands and agrees with them.

Get over it.

I should come one here with a story every time my wife changes her mind //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

So true, and I actually didn't realize this tell yesterday. I called a shop to get coilovers installed and the owner of the shop gave me a price quote. I told him I found it for cheaper and if he can match/beat it because I was going to have him do my alignment. He said he'd check with the installer. Installer came down a good bit, but not close enough. Later he called back and matched the price but I had found an even better deal, which I knew he couldn't match, and I didn't want to lowball him. Basically, it IS up to the installer since they are the ones doing the work.

Get over it.
And go find another installer that will do it or pay them an additional cost and see if they will agree to additional terms then. There's no use in complaining about what happened, nothing is really going to change.

As mentioned, why would a shop change the way they operate after 25 years for one person unless it is truly necessary? If they lose out on one customer, they have plenty others coming back to them.

I do plan to compete and did need it for judging I've spent $800 on two DD 3510's $700 on an atomic 2200.1 and an ab amp from them (both prices combined) I know that's not a lot as of money as far as amps go just what I have. I bought a HO alternator thats supposed to be shipped out soon. $440 I bought an alpine deck that was $330 and I bought my comps. The total was $600

Now I have to get my box built and I saved $1000 for that and have $800 left over. Plus another $2000 in 6 months that I can use for my car as well IF I decided to. They not only turned me down for an install but I bluntly told them how I felt and why do to them telling me SURE WE CAN DO IT! Even the installer said we can do it the first day.

How would you feel if you were willing to pay for a good box with your hard earned cash and you didn't get to even know what kind of fiberglass mat they were using or how much ?

How do you tell if they cut corners and took your cash? Thats my side of it!

The shop in question just RE opened after being closed for about 10 years. I really don't know why I went it looks sorta like best buy. Fancy store but no one going in each time I was there. It's an old car lot so they turned the main little base store into the main store and use the garages for install.

10 years ago they were a good place to go. Seems things have changed. I was loyal then.

I do plan to compete and did need it for judging I've spent $800 on two DD 3510's $700 on an atomic 2200.1 and an ab amp from them (both prices combined) I know that's not a lot as of money as far as amps go just what I have. I bought a HO alternator thats supposed to be shipped out soon. $440 I bought an alpine deck that was $330 and I bought my comps. The total was $600

Now I have to get my box built and I saved $1000 for that and have $800 left over. Plus another $2000 in 6 months that I can use for my car as well IF I decided to. They not only turned me down for an install but I bluntly told them how I felt and why do to them telling me SURE WE CAN DO IT! Even the installer said we can do it the first day.

How would you feel if you were willing to pay for a good box with your hard earned cash and you didn't get to even know what kind of fiberglass mat they were using or how much ?

How do you tell if they cut corners and took your cash? Thats my side of it!
If you're dumping $1000 into a box then you should be using a shop you trust. If you don't trust the shop don't go there, that simple.

Yeah I know that now. This has taught me a lesson. Not many shops around here though. I know a guy on the fiberglass forums hopefully he will take the job. I'll have to travel almost 230 miles though and stay somewhere.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.