Fiberglass box build TURNED down.. Please read. Did ask for too much?

That customer is always right thing is some crap and I don't know why anyone believes that. If you honestly believe the customer is always right then you have never worked at a job where you deal with customers every day (retail, fast food, hotel, heck even a car shop).

I would have laughed and walked the other way, that is insulting.

Rule number one, when you know your dealing with the Michael Phelps of fiberglass and custom work you **** sure don't tell him how to swim.

Anybody that knows their salts on fiberglassing knows what materials are good and which ones are not...and most who do fiberglass work have a reputation of the work that they have done.

Personally, I wouldn't touch it for under $100 an hour because it is that much work.

I don't know i can understand wanting to know where your money is being spent, I mean i don't think he is that for fetched go to any other custom body shop, hot rod shop or the likes and you spend a crap load on something you most likely will get an it itemized bill it is not out of the question. nor is being there at the begining of the process to make sure everything is in order, and so what if he wants to come to the shop and document the progress of his car.
Insurance companies do not allow us to have non-working people in the install bay. They do this because if this douchbag is walking around the bay and gets hurt they are liable and he can sue.

Insurance companies do not allow us to have non-working people in the install bay. They do this because if this douchbag is walking around the bay and gets hurt they are liable and he can sue.
yes i am aware but that is usually only for when work is being done if he comes in at the begining or end of the day it shouldn't be a problem and also i have worked in many automotive type settings and there are many times when the client asked to see what you are talking about with there car are you just have to show them and as long as they are being guided most insurance policies allow that.

I wouldnt take this job either, unless I really needed the business that bad. People are not allowed anywhere other than the waiting area/room.

Work also tends to move slower if some dude is just watching over your shoulder. In all honesty I turn people down a lot. Usually its a middle aged man, with money, who has a brand new mustang with "premium sound" who wants to put something into his car, but expects so much done perfectly for so little, even though he has the money. When I get a feeling for something like this, I show him the door, then he proceeds to ride off "enjoying" his fine tastes and "premium sound" to the next place.

Bottom line, I'm not gonna deal with that type who expects me to waste time bsing with his premium sound for what I make on a friggen 10 minute CD player. Not only that but with him breathing down my neck demanding things that he clearly isnt paying for, all the while breaking shop policy.

They are also the type to try a bogus damage claim for this mysterious scratch that was recorded pre-install.

Well thats one of the types... lol

kinda vented bout them. .sorry.. not saying you are one of these types.... just giving an example!

you did not do anything wrong really but i can say that i would have passed on the job.

I own a live coral company and every now and then i get an email from a guy that is asking for VERY detailed corals, pictures, shipping, times, methods. the questions are not bad ones and fully understandable. the propblme is that most of the time the same guy that ask question like this is the same guy that will complain about ANYTHING he can find. no matter how basic the problem it will be a HUGE deal to this type of person. It has nothing to do with not being able to handle the request. it is more about the fact that if this guy is this anal BEFORE the sale what the heck would he be like if there is an unforseen problem.

In the end i normaly dont even both with the sale to these guys. it is just not worth the chance. My guess is this was the same type of thinking this shop had.

for a small number like 1000.00 it simply was not worth it

Installers did I ask for too much?

Doug,

After some though I don't think I'm completly happy with the meeting I had with your installer (if it was you then sorry but thats how I feel now).. I was only with him for 20 minutes. I was hoping for a detailed drawing for my system and where can go. I also like him to take an in depth look into my amp and subs with the information provided below. I tried to show this information but it was just glanced at. Sorta rubbed me the wrong way since thats the main part besides the FG.

A lot of people say some shops put down 3 to 4 layers of mat and your out. They said that's NOT the correct way but the material saving way and to find a shop that does it right.

I'm going to want Rage Gold body filler for my filler. USC Resin or Evercoat for my box build and will want to see an itemized list of materials bought plus be there when the process starts. I'm spending the correct amount of money to see the process and also to make sure I'm getting what I'm paying for. I want 9 layers of glass minimum. I hope your ok with this. I'm going to allow the floor of the box to be taken up in hight just a little bit maybe 3 inches if we need to. I'm giving you guys some room to work with here.

The paint I want on the enclosure will be cobalt blue with glitter added into the paint. I've seen pro painters do this before. I will also want my box to be clear coated with automotive clear coat to protect it.

Cobalt Blue: http://pictures.dealer.com/hertricha...6c06478aae.jpg

I would like to show you a link to a forum of what I'm looking for. here:

http://www.fiberglassforums.com/showthread.php?t=6641 A really good FG guy did this build and it's what I want.

I want that but I don't want the top to be exposed we need to make my install a stealth install but have the carpet top removable for car shows and comps. When your installer said something about "just two 10's" It made me think he didn't know about the digital designs subwoofer company and there products.

I will be using two DD3510's and atomic amp. I tried to show him the spec's last time on the woofers but he just glanced at everything. The woofers spec's for it's proper enclosure were on the paper I tried to show him. The whole meeting seemed very hurried. I would like to have another meeting to express my desire for what I truly want.

If your installer could please email me back at this email address..

I want to put my factory covers over the fiber to hide it for when the car is our daily car to protect the subs and the FG.

Please review my Amp and subs in this email and get back to me : (wish you guys sold this stuff btw..)

(then I went on to give spec's of what I wanted)

The Turn down for install after agreeing to do it when I pretty much said some of the above in person. Cory the owner said NO PROBLEM in person.

THE TURN DOWN EMAIL:

My name,

We are a professional shop. We have concrete procedures and guidelines. This includes using materials that are professionally rated and approved. Both our installers combine for over 25 years experience in custom installation and wiring.

Our insurance, lease, and general store policies do not allow us to let non-employees from being in our installation bay. We also cannot allow step-by-step pictures to be taken of our installs, nor can we provide a complete material list (what it is, where we got it, etc.). Our installers have their own methods that they have perfected, and it would be a great disservice to them if we provided exact details for their procedures.

As such, we will not be able to provide you with what you want. Most shops would have quoted you two or three times higher than our bid of $1000, but there are certain guidelines we must stick to. There is nothing beyond our ability, but I think you will be better served by someone else. Good luck with your custom work.

Cory (last name erased

----------------------------------------------

I'm sorta a gruff person when it comes to people. My wife even calls me a jerk so I don't know if I came off to strong in my email or asked too much of them. I'm trying to have a build log for my car. That's one reason I wanted all the info. The other is the installer mentioned using BONDO for the work and 3 layers of glass

I feel the customer is always right. So I'm trying to see if I was somehow wrong.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

1. Your not coming into my shop telling me exactly what materials I'm allowed to use as far as construction goes. You can pick a finish, but I'm gonna do the work underneath the finish the ways I have been doing it for years. You came to me, I didn't come to you. So obviously I'm doing something right with the current materials I am using. Talent lies in the fabricator doing the job, not the materials he is using. All the best products in the world, in a hacks hands still end up being a hack job.

2. I have always told people the same thing. It's $50 an hour normal rates, if you want to watch and or help it's $125 an hour. I will be more than happy for you to watch me work on your ride. But everyone knows watching somebody do something leads to questions. Questions eat up time and slow things down. I am well versed in what kinds of pics are needed for install books. I have no problem taking pics , but they won't be a step by step tutorial. They would show key high lights of the attention to detail and anything special done that can not be scene by the naked eye.

3. 9 layers thick? You do realize there are different weights of mat and cloth right? Comparing quality of an enclosure by numbers of layers, is like choosing and spl sub on xmax alone..........retarded. 9 layers of 5oz mat vs. 3 layers of 20 oz biaxial................ no contest. I can, and have parked a car on an enclosure built with just three layers of biaxial.

If you came to my shop with what you put in that email. My first question to you would be why did you come here ? Think about that , why did you choose that shop? Was it the price ? The quality of work ? You thought the installers mullet was sexay ? If you want one thing to be the deciding factor. I would take quality over price //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

hahaha WOW man

2 pages and so far look like your not getting any love. if you know so much about installation seems like it is time to do it yourself.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

If you're that detailed oriented that you spell out everything that you want an installer to do, then you should probably be doing the **** yourself //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

you need to learn to do fiberglass yourself. i would not take the job & no, i do not allow ppl in the install bay. i am not going to loose everything i have worked hard for because some punk wants to watch.

just do it yourself man. if you've been readin FGF.com then you should have some knowledge on how to do the work yourself.

it took me maybe a month of studying on fgf.com and 1 **** up to get to where i am with fiberglassing. it's easy. it just takes time and patience is key.

BUT What if the owner when I first walked into the shop said OK to my terms? He did too and didn't seem to have a problem with it.

until now. which is a big WTF

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.