Fiberglass box advice, first build

Participant count
  • Participant list

Kelvartis

Oregon
I've read and watched videos till I gathered all the supplies, built a amp rack in the spare tire location to practice the fleece, glass, rage gold steps. The problem I'm having with the subwoofer box is space.

Is every single funky little corner I can squeeze into the fiberglass box worth it? Like I have a port with maybe 10 cubic inches of dead space I could drill the mdf out and access back to the usable space but I feel skeptical of these tiny spaces being useful..? I'm struggling to think I'm going to get more than 2-2.3 sq ft ... and so I'm trying to squeeze it from current prediction of 1.4-1.7 to well into the 2 1/2.

JL audio 300/2 (wired in parallel to 1.3 ohm load at the amp)

infinity kappa 6 3/4

jl audio 500

incriminator audio I series 10's

Honda del sol behind seats fiberglass build.

you got more balls then I do, I have done a few things with fiberglass years ago, literally just a few, but never attempted anything large, just don't like it, I guess I just don't have the patience for it I guess.

I'll post up some pictures in a bit when I get a chance. It's about half mdf / half fiberglass. I didn't see a big point in doing large flat areas of fiberglass. I also already have the port built in the base of it as a kerfed flare sanded and fiberglass reinforced.

It's just been a challenge finding where I'm going to squeeze the max possible air volume from.

The port is right in the middle. it's a kerfed mdf slot port. I had to L shape it in the back. It's just not installed in the picture. I think I'm going to do a little more wood work in the top / front of the box to maximize what I can get then fleece it

soon as it's fleeced I'm going to tape the port off and volume test it with sand.

I'll post a set of pictures soon. Between work, family life and a lot of little steps it's slowly coming along.

I've managed to get 2.7 cubes with a slot-kerf port box for two incriminator audio 10's.... In a Del Sol.

I just hope it sounds good..

Finally got the last internal layer of glass done!

Later this evening I'll have the subs mounted in it and run some speaker wire out the port to test fire things and check for any issues / air leaks / rattles.

I tried to take a few extra pictures along the way to show how I achieved the skeleton that I stretched fleece over. The kerfed 3/4 dowel rod worked well but extra attention had to be taken to the grain of the wood. The kerfed slot port came out nice, I'm going to leave everything black for now but I would like to air brush the port then clear coat the box again.

Well, time to go install the thread inserts and get the woofers mounted. Bastards cost me 31$ for stainless cap screws and the inserts... still, I had a terrible time last time I tried to just use T-nuts.

-- more pics coming when it's installed.

Finally got the last internal layer of glass done!
Later this evening I'll have the subs mounted in it and run some speaker wire out the port to test fire things and check for any issues / air leaks / rattles.

I tried to take a few extra pictures along the way to show how I achieved the skeleton that I stretched fleece over. The kerfed 3/4 dowel rod worked well but extra attention had to be taken to the grain of the wood. The kerfed slot port came out nice, I'm going to leave everything black for now but I would like to air brush the port then clear coat the box again.

Well, time to go install the thread inserts and get the woofers mounted. Bastards cost me 31$ for stainless cap screws and the inserts... still, I had a terrible time last time I tried to just use T-nuts.

-- more pics coming when it's installed.
Nice box! I'm near to attempting first fiberglass work... maybe within the week. But, hey, could you tell me - is that a horn-loaded port, or just for aesthetics?

CHAD

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.