Fi recone - do it myself or send it in?

dragonrage
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I have a Q12 with cone damage that I want to recone as a Q15 (obviously meaning a new basket, I know). I've never reconed anything but I'm confident in myself being able to do so if it's going to save me much money. What are the pros and cons to sending it in vs doing it myself? Their site has the "send in sub" option but it does not affect price. Is the shipping cost the only thing that it changes?

If you have never done it before, send it in. Worth the few extra dollars to have the piece of mind it was done right, especially for a very nice driver like the Q.

it depends on if u think you will ever have to do it in the future...i reconed my hdc3 and learned from talking to dj and watching a couple youtube videos of people who reconed hdc3s.... its not the easiest thing imo.... i think fi requires some soldering but im not sure

If you be very careful and be patient then you can do it. Watch some vids of people doing it to the same sub and go from there
Have you ever reconed before? It's simple,also FI takes forever to get stuff done. I ordered a recone kit over a week ago and still no word and live live in Reno(a few hours away).

I don't actually have anything installed in my car right now, anyway. The subwoofer is just sitting at the moment. It's actually usable because I "repaired" it with epoxy putty, but it looks extremely ugly and I was messy with the putty and it definitely doesn't help sound quality, though it's better than an air leak.

Anyone got any educated guesses as to how long it would take them to recone it if I send it in?

i can recone for ya //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
He makes sexytime subs... can you name your company that?

I learned how to recone with some E8s, **** them up and your out like $20 but it is pretty easy to do

i can recone for ya //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Do you have recone parts, or are you saying I could send you the sub and the parts and just pay you to do the labor, or what?

He makes sexytime subs... can you name your company that?

sorry i cant i have had this name for **** near 20yrs, DOHH. was the name of my audio shop that i started in my dads garage at age 16, by 18 was doing full on fiberglass jobs and painting them to match the car. then started a parttime legit audio biz with starts and alarms competition systems, now everyone in NY pooooo.....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.