Faulty install - or OK?

skimo
10+ year member

6 weeks ago I paid a local audio shop to install an Alpine 9813 hu (27 watt RMS) and a pair of Alpine SPX-177A's in my 2001 GMC truck. They originally hooked up the onboard amp to the factory wiring harness. It sounded horrible and after talking to the Alpine engineers, I convinced my installer to run a 10 ga wire directly to the battery...huge improvement (for an extra $30 no less).

Now I'm adding an amplifier and sub and decided to just do it myself. Looking under the dash, I discovered that the installer didn't mount my SPX-177A crossovers in the door as they had told me they had to (to justify the $135 install fee for component system), but tucked the crossover blocks in under the dash. They are not mounted to anything, he just zip tied all the wires together and they are hanging in space - just held up by the stifness of the wires.

I don't want to be a pain in the ass if this is the normal way to do it, but I'm concerned that the wires may eventually pull out. Seems to me that the crossover blocks should have been secured to something. Should I just let it go - or ask them to redo it?

Thanks,

Skimo

Yeah for sure ask them to do it properly, if you asked to be mounted properly, and do a professional job...so you should get your moneys worth and all, so yip go talk sternly to them haha, and tell them to do a proper job! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif

If they said they were going to mount the crossovers in the door and said that's why it cost so much.....Go back and *****. Or better yet call'em up and get a quote over the phone w/o the crossovers and see what the price is. If it is any different from what you paid (less) go back and demand the difference!! By the way installing crossovers in the door (when doing a speaker replacement) adds about another five minutes....total.

Being an installer at a car audio shop, and doing this daily, i can tell you, its not a very difficult feat to mount the crossovers for those speakers in the doors of a new chevy truck, that is the normal thing to do. The way they did it is acceptable, but it seems you have been mislead and over-charged. I would definately go back and inquire.

135 just to mount speakers and crossovers in doors, and 30 bucks for 10 guage wire? where are you located, im in the wrong place. on the install note, i'd go back and ask why you paid them the extra 135 to mount the crossovers, and didnt recieve the service. i usually mount them in the doors myself, and theres no extra charge. its just something i do help keep behind the hu clean, and its easier to mount them in the doors, and more feasible. if someone's not satisfied with the work, i redo it at no charge, and refund part of their money, just for their inconvenience. that has happened all of one time in 3 years, but still, thats how i do it...

135 just to mount speakers and crossovers in doors, and 30 bucks for 10 guage wire? where are you located, im in the wrong place. QUOTE]
No doubt. Anchorage, Alaska. There are only 2 Alpine dealers in town and they rape and pillage. MSRP + on most items. They won't install if you don't buy from them.

That's why I'm doing my own now. No interest in paying huge markups for shi**y work and service.

Walk in there and go postal!

scarface-script-4001386.jpg

You never heard that from me!:thumbsup!

Besides, if they ever found out you did, just run to Canada your home free!:thumbsup

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

skimo

10+ year member
skimo
Anchorage, AK
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from