FatMat

If by "right" you mean one of the most expensive deadeners out there. Read the information, but most of the products can be had cheaper elsewhere.
That's an almost entirely false statement. The roller and HH-66 Vinyl Contact Cement I sell can be purchased elsewhere. Everything else I sell is made specifically for me and can't be bought anywhere else. If you mean that something similar to everything I sell can be bought for less elsewhere, that's true - just as it's true for everything else in the world. Sort of a weak point, don't you think?

I call bs on the 25% coverage deal. In sound quality applications it makes all the difference to have 60% + coverage (depends on the car) but that is a load of crap. Rudy or Don or whoever it is at Sound Deadener Showdown is just as opinionated as everyone else. It is right to a certain extent, you can get away with a lot less if you place it properly, but 25-35% isnt necessarily going to take care of you. AT is what I would suggest, not because its the best by any stretch, but it is super sticky (It will sometimes stick to your fingers) and seems to do a good job. It's also cheap. I am a cheap bastard though :p 100sq feet is probably way more than youll need.
You call BS based on what? The dozens of cars you've personal treated? The research that's easy to find on the Internet, Industry standards? What? Calling BS without offering anymore than my being "opinionated" as justification is silly. How about some facts? Are you one of the "everybody is entitled to their opinion and facts don't matter" people? The fact that you endorse a product based on "stickiness" suggests that you don't know enough about the topic to call BS on anyone. Calling something a boatload of crap is easy. Using a boatload of crap as justification is pathetic.

You can apply Dynamat in patches (25-50% area coverage) to keep a specific panel from resonating or you can apply it over an entire area (such as the floor, doors, or trunk) to create a sound barrier and vibrational damper.
That's from the Dynamat Web site. Been there for years. Vibration damper is a very inefficient way to build a barrier, so there's a pretty obvious lesson. That makes two sellers of vibration damper telling people they need much less of the product they sell than most people think. Doesn't that tell you something? What's it tell you about sellers who tell you more is better?

Right means = high value, many different products to reach the goal that are at or near the best in the industry in performance and quality, very effective system, extensive knowledge and testing to back it up. So yes, do it right the first time.  

An NSX or the Supra were not cheap at first, but they had equal or better performance then similarly priced competitors, greater value and certainly superior reliability then most of their competitors. People have to think bigger then initial price tag, that is the weakness of most American consumers. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
But there's nothing wrong with the AT deadener. It's fantastic, and competitively priced. Is it the BEST? No, I don't doubt that SDS is thicker and likely more effective. In fact, Coleman has said that himself. But not everyone needs the thickest and heaviest deadener. If he's going to compete in SQ, then I would certainly recommend a full treatment from SDS's line of products. But if someone is just looking for a little deadener treatment, I think AT would typically suffice.

I bought the fatmat Rattle trap and its 80mil. I have a 96 ext cab s10 and i havent had any problems what so ever. I preped everything with rubbing alcohol and didnt use a heat gun or anything. It was roughly about 80 to 85 degrees outside and it stuck really really good. I tried a small lil section first to see if i needed to heat it to make it stick better. I couldnt pull the stuff back off. Once its stuck it is stuck. I am very very pleased with the result. I wanted to go with AT but couldnt afford it so i just gave it a try and im glad i did. Every one has there own opinion. Sometime you just have to try it and see if you like it or not. Just like a new movie that came out. Some will say it ***** so you dont watch it, then finally you see it on Tv and its one of the best movies you ever seen. LOL

personally i like the stinger roadkill the best, of all the sound deadners on the market and ive tried all of them except the second skin tiles.

sticks like dynamat extreme, but a little heavier, and isn't badly priced hit up argent audio usually around $100 shipped for 36sq feet (which is a great price). retails for $220.

That's an almost entirely false statement. The roller and HH-66 Vinyl Contact Cement I sell can be purchased elsewhere. Everything else I sell is made specifically for me and can't be bought anywhere else. If you mean that something similar to everything I sell can be bought for less elsewhere, that's true - just as it's true for everything else in the world. Sort of a weak point, don't you think?

You call BS based on what? The dozens of cars you've personal treated? The research that's easy to find on the Internet, Industry standards? What? Calling BS without offering anymore than my being "opinionated" as justification is silly. How about some facts? Are you one of the "everybody is entitled to their opinion and facts don't matter" people? The fact that you endorse a product based on "stickiness" suggests that you don't know enough about the topic to call BS on anyone. Calling something a boatload of crap is easy. Using a boatload of crap as justification is pathetic.

That's from the Dynamat Web site. Been there for years. Vibration damper is a very inefficient way to build a barrier, so there's a pretty obvious lesson. That makes two sellers of vibration damper telling people they need much less of the product they sell than most people think. Doesn't that tell you something? What's it tell you about sellers who tell you more is better?
Don you are opinionated and push your own agenda as well. Im not saying go with AT or that its the best, but I can tell you 25% and 50% and even 100% makes a difference on the rta regardless of which product youre using. It would also depend on the car. And Im sorry but if the shat doesnt stick its not very useful to me. edead for example I could not get to stick hardly at all. People complain about Fat Mat not sticking. AT I have no trouble with it sticking. Dynamat no trouble either. My goal isnt to keep sound out, it's to change the resonance of the panel. If you were serious about SPL it would be foolish to throw some designated amount on the panels anyway. A 2012 honda civic door panel is not the same as a 1948 panel van either so telling everyone 25% is retarded. You are right though, if youre trying to kill road noise, using traditional sound deadener is foolish.

Also you argue with a condescending bias that works against you. Youd make a good fox news host

i dont get it. on really loud vehicles all i see is fat mat .peel and seal. dyna extreme. and what other crap you wanna add to it. taylorfades crx is peel and sealed like a mug. bryants 160 crx is dynamat extreme. brandon woolrige runs fatmat. terry is a peel and seal guy. wtf is up with this. do i need to remove my alphadamp?

Don you are opinionated and push your own agenda as well. Im not saying go with AT or that its the best, but I can tell you 25% and 50% and even 100% makes a difference on the rta regardless of which product youre using. It would also depend on the car. And Im sorry but if the shat doesnt stick its not very useful to me. edead for example I could not get to stick hardly at all. People complain about Fat Mat not sticking. AT I have no trouble with it sticking. Dynamat no trouble either. My goal isnt to keep sound out, it's to change the resonance of the panel. If you were serious about SPL it would be foolish to throw some designated amount on the panels anyway. A 2012 honda civic door panel is not the same as a 1948 panel van either so telling everyone 25% is retarded. You are right though, if youre trying to kill road noise, using traditional sound deadener is foolish.
Also you argue with a condescending bias that works against you. Youd make a good fox news host
If you don't want a condescending tone, stop using terms like "retarded" boatload of crap" and "BS" and then coming with nothing at all to support your position will always get a response. I'm not even suggesting that people shouldn't support their favorites, but doing it by gratuitously attacking others instead of having a reason other than it making your **** warm isn't helping anyone.

Exactly what difference are you going to see on the RTA? Resonance would show as a peak at the resonant frequency(s) of the panel and its/their harmonics. Please show us this reduction at 25%/50% and 100%. What you will certainly see is a lower resonant frequency as you add mass. That's just as likely to be a bad thing as a good thing so nothing there.

Being sticky enough to perform it's intended job is a ridiculously low standard. It's worth thinking about because there's been a history of people selling products that didn't even meet that standard. It's still the same thing as raving about a car because it has wheels.

You may not approve of my tome but imagine what it's like for me having to deal with you talking out of your ***. I wouldn't have touched this thread id you hadn't decided it would be fun to take cheap shots you couldn't back up.

I hate threads about Sound Deadener.
As do I. It almost always turns into vendors pushing their products, or taking pot shots at the other vendors or users. Then you have the people who have only used one brand saying that one brand is the BEST, which in turn gets other users riled, and a ***** fight ensues.

Op: ive personally used dynamat extreme, second skin, at, edead, and cascade (dont even know if they are around anymore).. In my PERSONAL use, ive liked the second skin best (and noticed the best results with it).. But I would recommend at ALL DAY due only to the price/performance ratio. And colemans been great at customer service. ALSO- i've personally always ran 100% coverage. Is it necissary? Nah, likely not. Has it ever HURT? nope. I would access your goals, budget, vehicle and intended use and go from there..i this rudy likely markets a good product, but id rather not support him (again, personal opinion, he has in NO WAY slighted me, and im quite sure he wont.steer you wrong if you choose to go.with him!)

If you don't want a condescending tone, stop using terms like "retarded" boatload of crap" and "BS" and then coming with nothing at all to support your position will always get a response. I'm not even suggesting that people shouldn't support their favorites, but doing it by gratuitously attacking others instead of having a reason other than it making your **** warm isn't helping anyone.
Exactly what difference are you going to see on the RTA? Resonance would show as a peak at the resonant frequency(s) of the panel and its/their harmonics. Please show us this reduction at 25%/50% and 100%. What you will certainly see is a lower resonant frequency as you add mass. That's just as likely to be a bad thing as a good thing so nothing there.

Being sticky enough to perform it's intended job is a ridiculously low standard. It's worth thinking about because there's been a history of people selling products that didn't even meet that standard. It's still the same thing as raving about a car because it has wheels.

You may not approve of my tome but imagine what it's like for me having to deal with you talking out of your ***. I wouldn't have touched this thread id you hadn't decided it would be fun to take cheap shots you couldn't back up.

Maybe you should send me some free product so I'll hug your nuts in every thread. Nothing I suggested was unreasonable or unrealistic. I just disagreed with you and I know I am not the only one. The resonant frequency needs to be moved out of the range of where the mids play typically and I add until I get there, not until a magical percentage. That is all I am saying. Unfortunately stickiness is something that most people are worried about. On that wheel note I have no problem being excited about my new wheels. Having some nice directional 18s to hug the road is pretty nice, when I have to throw the steelies back on its gonna ****. I really dont disagree with most of what you say, I am not bashing your product or anything aside from the golden rule you toss around. Im not trying to push for any deadener with any statements directed at you. I know you dont like coleman and thats fine. I have dynamat and AT in my vehicles and both do the job. TRALALALALALALAL.

Maybe you should send me some free product so I'll hug your nuts in every thread. Nothing I suggested was unreasonable or unrealistic. I just disagreed with you and I know I am not the only one. The resonant frequency needs to be moved out of the range of where the mids play typically and I add until I get there, not until a magical percentage. That is all I am saying. Unfortunately stickiness is something that most people are worried about. On that wheel note I have no problem being excited about my new wheels. Having some nice directional 18s to hug the road is pretty nice, when I have to throw the steelies back on its gonna ****. I really dont disagree with most of what you say, I am not bashing your product or anything aside from the golden rule you toss around. Im not trying to push for any deadener with any statements directed at you. I know you dont like coleman and thats fine. I have dynamat and AT in my vehicles and both do the job. TRALALALALALALAL.
This isn't about liking or disliking anyone. It's not even about choosing one product over another. Anybody who sells a product and participates on forums is lying if they say they aren't at least trying to establish credibility. Aside from that, I felt I needed to respond to flippant attacks without justification. I'll also point out that I have been participating in threads on this topic since 2005, 4 years before I had anything at all to gain from it.

I don't think anyone will object to the idea that the more we understand the topic, the better choices we will make. With that in mind, I'm just going to ask you to stop making absurd statements that can't be backed up. That just adds confusion to a field hat has been deliberately buried in confusion for years. It is absolutely impractical to lower a door's resonant frequency below the relevant pass band. Suggesting it is leads credence to the idea that all these products do is add mass, which leads to the conclusion that as long as they stick they are doing their job. That is absolutely false.

You need to quadruple mass for every octave you drop the panel's resonant frequency. That turns into an unworkable amount of mass before it does what you suggest happens easily.

Good products don't need to be promoted by gratuitously attacking other products.

I would love to try the audiotechnix deadener, but I didn't know about it when I bought my Fatmat a couple years ago. I have had no problem with mine after 3 years. I applied it in warm weather(about 90 degrees) and super duper prepped, just to make sure I had good adhesion. I will without a doubt try audiotechnix next time because I know of it now, but with proper prep, the Fatmat will make a difference. I really want some AT though. It's secksy thick.
Fatmat is cheaper here too:

100^ FatMat Sound Deadener Noise Killer

I bought it a couple years ago at $119.99 (for 100Sqft), so I am not sure why the price hike. Maybe demand went up
ya..if id known before hand.id prob gotten some myself,as ive always used dynamat,but theyve gotten pretty expensive,and there are several other brands to choose from for the price savings..well..lol id change it out,but its not like its easy to remove once placed.and not to mention the time spent..lol..yet,im happy with the fat matt..seems to be just fine for my needs so far:D

[quote name='Chad1']As do I. It almost always turns into vendors pushing their products, or taking pot shots at the other vendors or users. Then you have the people who have only used one brand saying that one brand is the BEST, which in turn gets other users riled, and a ***** fight ensues.

Op: ive personally used dynamat extreme, second skin, at, edead, and cascade (dont even know if they are around anymore).. In my PERSONAL use, ive liked the second skin best (and noticed the best results with it).. But I would recommend at ALL DAY due only to the price/performance ratio. And colemans been great at customer service. ALSO- i've personally always ran 100% coverage. Is it necissary? Nah, likely not. Has it ever HURT? nope. I would access your goals, budget, vehicle and intended use and go from there..i this rudy likely markets a good product, but id rather not support him (again, personal opinion, he has in NO WAY slighted me, and im quite sure he wont.steer you wrong if you choose to go.with him!)[/QUOTE]

Yep, just a little information was all that was asked for, but it turned into a crapstorm pretty quick. It always does.

[quote name='audiobaun']ya..if id known before hand.id prob gotten some myself,as ive always used dynamat,but theyve gotten pretty expensive,and there are several other brands to choose from for the price savings..well..lol id change it out,but its not like its easy to remove once placed.and not to mention the time spent..lol..yet,im happy with the fat matt..seems to be just fine for my needs so far:D[/QUOTE]

I actually have dynamt extreme on my doors and I like it, but to cover my whole 4 door truck, it was gonna cost way too much, so i went with the less expensive fatmat and I couldn't be happier too. @audiobaun was there anything particular you had to do to make it stick?

Oh and on another note, @nateberrier is not uninformed about products he has spoke about. He is also not new to car audio. I wouldn't hesitate to take his opinion and apply it to my builds.

[quote name='Joseph7195']Yep, just a little information was all that was asked for, but it turned into a crapstorm pretty quick. It always does.
DOESNT IT THOUGH MAN???LOL:hilariou:

I actually have dynamt extreme on my doors and I like it, but to cover my whole 4 door truck, it was gonna cost way too much, so i went with the less expensive fatmat and I couldn't be happier too. @audiobaun was there anything particular you had to do to make it stick?

WELL,IT WAS STICKING JUST FINE,BUT I FELT NOT TO MY LIKING,SO I WENT AND BOUGHT THE HEAT GUN,AND ROLLED IT TO GET ALL THE CREVICES,AND FELT MUCH BETTER WITH THAT RATHER THAN JUST BY HAND,AND ROLLING..I PREPPED WITH DAWN/CLEANED THE SURFACE/DRIED,THEN ALCOLHOL BE FORE APPLYING IT..IT AINT COMING OFF!!! TIME CONSUMING FOR SURE,BUT I PLAN ON NEVER SELLING THE TRUCK,SO WORTH MY TIME,AND A HUDGE DIFFERENCE..VERY PLEASED..GOT TO GET TO FED EX

Oh and on another note, @nateberrier is not uninformed about products he has spoke about. He is also not new to car audio. I wouldn't hesitate to take his opinion and apply it to my builds.[/QUOTE]

:toast:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

BFeezy

10+ year member
Sneakerhead
BFeezy
NY
Start date
Participants
Who Replied