FatMat

@cthedinger is a dealer on here, and owns Audiotechnix. That's what I've used and I'd recommend. I've heard mixed reviews from FatMat. There's not a single bad thing to be said about Audiotechnix. I'd say 50sqft of their 60mil should be plenty. For reference, I got 25sqft and did my rear deck, trunk lid, front doors, and still had some left over. I only did around 35% coverage though, which is really all you need.

I live in tx..have fat mat installed...no issues..clean the surface properly before applying with alcohol,and apply the fat mat with a heat gun,and roller,works best and contours easily by using the heat gun..ive cut small pieces at a time to apply for assurance of rolling the entire cutout,and proper coverage is rolled completely to the surface..//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/santa.gif.e1ec9cf2e0a0dd232ad35aa594a126d0.gif..no issues on my end,and ive reached over 115* inside of the cab this tear already

I live in tx..have fat mat installed...no issues..clean the surface properly before applying with alcohol,and apply the fat mat with a heat gun,and roller,works best and contours easily by using the heat gun..ive cut small pieces at a time to apply for assurance of rolling the entire cutout,and proper coverage is rolled completely to the surface..//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/santa.gif.e1ec9cf2e0a0dd232ad35aa594a126d0.gif..no issues on my end,and ive reached over 115* inside of the cab this tear already
I did all the same stuff with my AudioTechnix, except I didn't need a heat gun? It seems we both have had good results! I've just heard a handful of people have troubles with their FatMat >.

I would love to try the audiotechnix deadener, but I didn't know about it when I bought my Fatmat a couple years ago. I have had no problem with mine after 3 years. I applied it in warm weather(about 90 degrees) and super duper prepped, just to make sure I had good adhesion. I will without a doubt try audiotechnix next time because I know of it now, but with proper prep, the Fatmat will make a difference. I really want some AT though. It's secksy thick.

Fatmat is cheaper here too:

100^ FatMat Sound Deadener Noise Killer

I bought it a couple years ago at $119.99 (for 100Sqft), so I am not sure why the price hike. Maybe demand went up

Audio technix is thicker and the adhesive is of higher quality. Both products will do the job at first. There are a lot of horror stories about the product you've listed stinking a car up to high heaven, and also stories about it failing after a time. It will be well worth it to use a higher quality product than what you're considering here.

I call bs on the 25% coverage deal. In sound quality applications it makes all the difference to have 60% + coverage (depends on the car) but that is a load of crap. Rudy or Don or whoever it is at Sound Deadener Showdown is just as opinionated as everyone else. It is right to a certain extent, you can get away with a lot less if you place it properly, but 25-35% isnt necessarily going to take care of you. AT is what I would suggest, not because its the best by any stretch, but it is super sticky (It will sometimes stick to your fingers) and seems to do a good job. It's also cheap. I am a cheap bastard though :p 100sq feet is probably way more than youll need.

If by "right" you mean one of the most expensive deadeners out there. Read the information, but most of the products can be had cheaper elsewhere.
Right means = high value, many different products to reach the goal that are at or near the best in the industry in performance and quality, very effective system, extensive knowledge and testing to back it up. So yes, do it right the first time.

An NSX or the Supra were not cheap at first, but they had equal or better performance then similarly priced competitors, greater value and certainly superior reliability then most of their competitors. People have to think bigger then initial price tag, that is the weakness of most American consumers. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Right means = high value, many different products to reach the goal that are at or near the best in the industry in performance and quality, very effective system, extensive knowledge and testing to back it up. So yes, do it right the first time.  

An NSX or the Supra were not cheap at first, but they had equal or better performance then similarly priced competitors, greater value and certainly superior reliability then most of their competitors. People have to think bigger then initial price tag, that is the weakness of most American consumers. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
The weakness of the American consumer is preferring to save money? No. The weakness of the American consumer is to not take the time to become adequately informed prior to making their purchase. Your implications and bias are a bit shocking but it is what it is.

The weakness of the American consumer is preferring to save money? No. The weakness of the American consumer is to not take the time to become adequately informed prior to making their purchase. Your implications and bias are a bit shocking but it is what it is.
Yes, save money in the long term and do it right the first time. No bias in that post, just facts. But, yes, in addition, they do not care about becoming informed prior to purchase too, very good point.

Have had no issues with my AT deadener. I didn't do any prep work lol literally just took my hand and wiped it across the metal to take any dust off and put the deadener right on with a cheap $2 roller from lowes. Works awesome.

Which ever of the 14 bajjillion products you decide to purchase properly clean the area you are applying it to. 90% of the horror stories about this or that coming unstuck or "falling" is because it was just slapped on and not cleaned properly. The supposed worst sticking dampener made was original asphalt based dynamat....yet I have some in the roof of a vehicle for going on 15 years now....all because I did proper prep before applying it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

BFeezy

10+ year member
Sneakerhead
BFeezy
NY
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies