Factory JBL Subwoofer in 2003 Toyota Avalon Works Sporadically

Participant count
  • Participant list

n10121

Hello All:

I own a 2003 Toyota Avalon with the Premium JBL Audio System installed, which includes an 8" subwoofer installed in the area over the trunk.

When I received the vehicle, the subwoofer rattled, which I discovered was a common problem. I ordered a re-coning kit, and followed the instructions to reassemble the speaker.

The speaker worked fine for several weeks, then stopped working. Now it works rather randomly. It worked last summer, then stopped towards the winter/fall, then just started working again. For a brief while, towards the end of last summer, its proper function was dependent upon whether I hit a speed bump in the road.

I'm guessing I did a poor job in re-soldering the cables when I reinstalled the speaker to the bracket, but am unsure.

Any ideas?

how well do you think you did when you reconed the speaker, was it your first time? smaller speakers like 8s are harder to recone than something like a 12 or 15 I've heard. have you even gone back to look at the wiring you used when you reinstalled it? that's the first thing id check

I think I re-coned it fairly well. I did check the wiring, and I don't know too much about wiring, but it as though I could have soldered more of the wire to the other wire.

Does the amount of wire connected determine the amount of power or strength of the signal? If I rewire the cable to include more exposed wire is there a possibility it would solve the problem?

you need to make sure the connection is solid, whether or not you have a quarter inch of wire stripped and soldered or a whole inch doesnt really matter. the two wires need to be joined at a solid joint made by hot solder then covered in heat shrink.

I usually do something like this first and then just saturate both wires with tin until I'm satisfied it's solid.

FCQWR1FFRXUSAGH.LARGE.jpg

Got it. Thanks for the info. I'm going to pull it out and check this afternoon and let you know.

One other question if you have time: The stock cd player that came with the vehicle doesn't have an AUX port for to my plug in my cellphone or iPod. I plan on replacing the vehicle sooner than later, however I figure throwing in an aftermarket deck for the ability to play music from my phone is worth the hundred or so dollars.

My question however, is whether you think I would still be able to take advantage of the JBL package installed in the car, meaning the AMP and subwoofer.

if you get a headunit and an adapter specific for your car then it should work just fine.

for a subwoofer id use 12 gauge, for regular door speakers 16 or 18 gauge is fine. i like the solder that's 60% tin 40% flux or something like that

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

n10121

n10121
Charleston, SC
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
n10121