extending 8 gauge wire

Participant count
  • Participant list

jeepintn
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
whats the best way to extend 8 gauge wire? my dd3512s have those solid connections with 8 gauge leads, and i need to extend them to the side of the box where im going to use the bolt method for a terminal. so is a butt connector ok? never used one on this large of wire and dont have the tools or ability to solder

Strip ends, get flux on all the bare coppers....push them end to end into each other......solder them into one solid unit. Heat shrink, and tape em up.

Strip ends, get flux on all the bare coppers....push them end to end into each other......solder them into one solid unit. Heat shrink, and tape em up.
please read my original post... dont have the tools or ability to solder

meh i just stripped down the wire a little more, twisted my speaker wire and the direct leads together and electrical taped it good lol. worked just fine, it's kinda ghetto but I didn't have any problems with it. If you have a table vice or some good pliers you can just use some solderless butt connectors

since your extension is only running inside of your box... the but connectors will work fine... i've used them plent of times before, with no problem (even tho solder really is prefferable)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.