experts help needed

wone
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
...?
ok so theres this t4000 i have and every time i turned the truck on it does thisPOP sound. the amp turns on fine and still works but when i took out the amp case to paint it i found this?

now my question is this, i can solder this back together but i am unsure if is in good condition?

how do i test it and when doing so what am i looking for when testing to see if its still functional?

RSCN1000.jpg

DSCN0989.jpg

DSCN0990.jpg

DSCN0984.jpg

DSCN0983.jpg

DSCN0992.jpg

and most of the rest are in that condition also.

DSCN1006.jpg

DSCN1003.jpg

well it still powers up fine and works. does anyone know were i can get this same cap at?

Is it only that outside row that has the damage on the outer side? Just looks like maybe the cover or something is rubbing against the cap casing. If so I wouldn't worry about it and would assume the one that is disconnected works just fine and doesn't need to be replaced.

I'm not a soldering expert, but I'd guess that you could just solder it back on. It's possible it's been like that for awhile, but since it is just a cap and the amp obviously has plenty of others, that it's probably not effecting the performance.

Btw..your fingernails are kind of nasty bro //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Test the capacitor with a multi meter. According to the text on it, it should read 160v. It looks as though it just wasn't soldered good enough, so my guess is it would be fine to just solder it back on.

After soldering it, test the amp, and make sure to play something for a little while at moderate to high volume and check for overheating and any funny noises or smells.

If the capacitor ends up being bad for some reason, you can find a replacement fairly easily.

Is it only that outside row that has the damage on the outer side? Just looks like maybe the cover or something is rubbing against the cap casing. If so I wouldn't worry about it and would assume the one that is disconnected works just fine and doesn't need to be replaced.
I'm not a soldering expert, but I'd guess that you could just solder it back on. It's possible it's been like that for awhile, but since it is just a cap and the amp obviously has plenty of others, that it's probably not effecting the performance.

Btw..your fingernails are kind of nasty bro //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
bro im man and i work on stuff all day so since im not a pretty boy and my nails aint like a girls well thats the result. anyway i might just solder it back on

are they bulged?
no they are not

Whoa, looks like that amp gets toasty.
**** will buff out.
really, can u post something that useful

Test the capacitor with a multi meter. According to the text on it, it should read 160v. It looks as though it just wasn't soldered good enough, so my guess is it would be fine to just solder it back on.
After soldering it, test the amp, and make sure to play something for a little while at moderate to high volume and check for overheating and any funny noises or smells.

If the capacitor ends up being bad for some reason, you can find a replacement fairly easily.
well were can i get a replacement?

Oh **** this is bad advice!

A good DMM will measure value of a capacitor (here's a hint, it isn't in volts!). Actually from the rubbing it appears that something actually broke this off. I would NOT attempt to re-use it.

You may or may not be able to find a replacement depending on how old it is and if it's proprietary. Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor is a popular spot for DIY electronics repair.

Correct practice for testing an amp you just repair is to fuse it with a very very small fuse (like 3A or so) and test at super low ouput this way if you did mess something up odds are the fuse will save anything else from blowing up.

bro im man and i work on stuff all day so since im not a pretty boy and my nails aint like a girls well thats the result.
Just giving ya shit man.

If I wasn't so lazy I'd post a picture of my fingernail that's been purple for the last 3 months (Result of hitting it with a hammer, good times)

Oh do I hate new RF amps.

Seems like a weak solder joint and a case that doesn't quite fit popped that cap off. Resoldering it back on and doing something about the case rubbing against the caps should permanently fix the problem. Just get the polarity right on the cap otherwise you'll make a mess.

But my concern will be the same thing happening to the other caps. Gotta say I'm not surprised that the top cover doesn't fit right, I'm just unsure how you would make a few mm's of clearance. What you have there is a manufacturing defect but I doubt anyone at RF will offer to fix that problem.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.