engine whine

cbuts
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
well ive never had engine whine the whole 2 years ive had my car, power and rcas are ran on the same side (lol)

just installed a new alt last week and it didnt make the noise til yesterday.

what should i do? seperating power and rcas would be a pain

okay so i unplugged the rcas to my fosgate 1500, turned car back on, noise was still there. then i unplugged my hifonics rcas for components and plugged my fosgate rcas back in for my subs. turned the car on, subs played and engine whine was gone.

turned car off, plugged both sets of rcas back in, and no whine.

why did the whine go away? lmao

okay so i unplugged the rcas to my fosgate 1500, turned car back on, noise was still there. then i unplugged my hifonics rcas for components and plugged my fosgate rcas back in for my subs. turned the car on, subs played and engine whine was gone.
turned car off, plugged both sets of rcas back in, and no whine.

why did the whine go away? lmao
because the car is not running?

Use whatever RCAs aren't causing engine whine and move them to the other side of the car. You said it's gonna be a pain but it will be worth it to have good, clean music!

The whines back. Ground loop isolator just goes in the Trunk rcas then the amp? Would I need two one for each amp? What is a ground loop isolators purprose and is there a negative side to it

do a search on grounding rca's (few different ways of doing it) it is a Band-Aid fix, it hides the problem and doesn't fix it. but makes that stupid noise go away. hope this helps

do a search on grounding rca's (few different ways of doing it) it is a Band-Aid fix, it hides the problem and doesn't fix it. but makes that stupid noise go away. hope this helps
is this causing strain on my car running it with the noise, or even fixing the noise with the isolator ?

i see the sosche ones at walmart for $15, i plan on upgrading my system but not for a few months im not sure yet so i dont wanna rip everything apart just yet really, but i want this noise gone lol

why would it all of a sudden start when it didnt before

I've seen a few people just put a strand of wire from the left rca outside shield to the right rca outside shield and it made it un-hearable. not sure how safe it is thou

yeah idk... lmao, i only hear it at low rpms really but i want it gone, i just dont understand it didnt happen before, nothings out of the norm besides now i have a whine

If you just replaced the alternator but you haven't changed anything on the inside of the car, don't start troubleshooting at the RCA's.

When you have a problem soon after a change, 9 out of 10 times that problem was caused by the last change you made, not some new something somewhere else.

Check all of your grounds and especially the alternator/engine ground. It's likely that you had a ground problem before the alternator change but it didn't show up because the old alternator wasn't producing enough current. Of course, it could also be a bad regulator in the new alternator.

But for sure, if your RCAs haven't been noisy before and you've changed nothing about them and you haven't crushed them somehow... the problem isn't RCAs and ground loop isolators are like taking heroine for a toothache. The pain goes away for a while but the rot continues...

If you just replaced the alternator but you haven't changed anything on the inside of the car, don't start troubleshooting at the RCA's.
When you have a problem soon after a change, 9 out of 10 times that problem was caused by the last change you made, not some new something somewhere else.

Check all of your grounds and especially the alternator/engine ground. It's likely that you had a ground problem before the alternator change but it didn't show up because the old alternator wasn't producing enough current. Of course, it could also be a bad regulator in the new alternator.

But for sure, if your RCAs haven't been noisy before and you've changed nothing about them and you haven't crushed them somehow... the problem isn't RCAs and ground loop isolators are like taking heroine for a toothache. The pain goes away for a while but the rot continues...
hmm i dont thinkit would be the alternator, my grounds are good under the hood for my big 3..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.