Engine whine and ground loop fixes... take two

CJRananto

Aug 29, 2015
Hickory, NC
Amps are grounded separately on sanded down metal (floor under seat bolt front, floor under seat bolt rear). HU separate ground wire to firewall. Was told that I should ground my amps to battery instead of floor due to way new cars are made. Suggestions. I have a 2009 Sienna. BTW. Thanks mitchell0715.

wew lad

wew lad inc
Mar 22, 2015
MA
Amps are grounded separately on sanded down metal (floor under seat bolt front, floor under seat bolt rear). HU separate ground wire to firewall. Was told that I should ground my amps to battery instead of floor due to way new cars are made. Suggestions. I have a 2009 Sienna. BTW. Thanks mitchell0715.
I wouldn't ground to the battery unless you know your car has a body with terrible resistance, and even in that case I'd ground to the engine or frame then run a ground from your frame up front to the battery. If your car has no frame id ground it to the engine then upgrade your engine ground to battery.

Start a new thread so we can assist you better, include what amps, headunit, etc you're including. keep it concise but provide as much info as possible and you'll get my help as well as a few others.

the short story for what i think your problem is, is that there's a difference in ground impedence between your amps and the excess difference is being transferred through your RCAs when the second piece of equipment is plugged in

Bigokie

Aug 14, 2015
Oklahoma
Another Pioneer sucker.....installed new amp...WHINE.....with the help of adulbrich we narrowed it down to a few things. Tried in order of "how easy" and it was probably the 4th thing on my list.....GROUND THE RCA PLUGS!!

A huge thx to adulbrich, I have been tearin his inbox up and he doesn't hesitate to help, as well as others.

Awesome forum.....yall have been nothing but help!! I appreciate all the replies in other posts.

Okie

nvturbo

Senior VIP Member
Nov 29, 2012
North Carolina
After re-installing my setup, I noticed alternator whine at low volume. Checked the grounds on both amps, making sure they were as short as possible. I'm using Streetwires Musica100 and 200 RCA cables along with OFC Streetwires power & ground wires BTW.

Come to find out, it was the MTX 250x amp. Swapped it back to the Alpine 3547 and noise was gone. In some cases, it's a component causing the noise, other than a headunit.

Jard

Feb 11, 2016
BC, Canada
So glad I found this sticky. My system has been running fine for 6+ years in two separate vehicles, then suddenly it acquired this problem last week. I had no idea what it was, but started taking notes on the causes of it. Made this account and was about to write up a huge post describing the problem.... but now theres no need to. Will try some of the fixes until i solve the issue. One thing to note is that I had a new battery installed (by someone else) last week, about the same time the problem arose. Could this have anything to do with it? The high pitched whirr is only present in the front speakers which are driven by their own amp. Rear speakers are driven by the head unit, and have no whirr.

Edit: Just to clarify, when it says to ground the RCAs to the head unit, does that imply that the head unit should in turn be grounded to the frame of the car?

Jard

Feb 11, 2016
BC, Canada
Fixed the issue by connecting a wire from the RCA amplifier output on my clarion head unit, to the chassis of the head unit. This thread was a major help, thanks!

daffydos

May 11, 2016
Utrecht
After reading this forum I understand that Pioneer radios have a little internal fused circuit called a pico fuse.

If this pico fuse is broken, does it also whine when the engine is off?

My amp only whines when the engine is running. Checked everything and no solution yet.

I also have an active subwoofer. My subwoofer and amp are both grounded to an other point, does that also matter?

(active sub is a 200 watt peak 15A, amplifier is a 760 watt peak 60A)

If it is correct that the whining stops, even when te pico fuse is blown. Then i will try the solution mentioned in the first post.

Thanks in advance!

slikrider20

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Sep 4, 2005
Nebraska
Bringing this back from the grave....I have the Pioneer Deck and my whine is intermittent. Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't.

So far i've:

Grounded RCA's

Regrounded HU

Regrounded amp

RCA's routed on opposite side of car - only power wire is routed on one side

It still does it, but like I said, it's intermittent. With the engine off, it doesn't do it at all. Sometimes it's really bad, sometimes I can barely hear it.

Wellyboy

Senior VIP Member
Aug 6, 2017
AU
Bringing this back from the grave....I have the Pioneer Deck and my whine is intermittent. Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't.
So far i've:

Grounded RCA's

Regrounded HU

Regrounded amp

RCA's routed on opposite side of car - only power wire is routed on one side

It still does it, but like I said, it's intermittent. With the engine off, it doesn't do it at all. Sometimes it's really bad, sometimes I can barely hear it.
The whining is caused only by the RCAs nothing else... Grounding your RCA to your headunit does not always fix the issue completely it only sometimes decreases its frequency.. The next thing you should try is getting an RCA ground loop. Depending on your setup you can either get a 2 or 4 channel RCA ground loop.. I'v ordered one it's still coming not 100% sure if it will fix the problem but it's cheap an worth giving a go. Another way I know of getting rid of that whine completely is using your fader (this only works if your only using 1 speaker output off your HU) this is the method I'm using right now untill that RCA ground loop arrives. Goodluck!
Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

slikrider20

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Sep 4, 2005
Nebraska
Actually, I was anxious enough to go out and look, noticed my ground wire on my amp was poking out of the terminal barely touching the car...wrapped it in electrical tape and it completely went away. Hopefully this was actually the problem and not just a coincidence!

Boomin_tahoe

Hurtin' feelings errrday.
10+ year member
Jul 24, 2005
WA
Actually, I was anxious enough to go out and look, noticed my ground wire on my amp was poking out of the terminal barely touching the car...wrapped it in electrical tape and it completely went away. Hopefully this was actually the problem and not just a coincidence!
Lemme see if I understand you correctly: The ground wire came loose from the terminal of the amp and was touching the car....frame or some other metal?? Good catch btw....

I got alt whine myself it's so annoying In my Tahoe.

slikrider20

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Sep 4, 2005
Nebraska
Sorry, I meant the connector at the end of the wire that is bolted to the car. There was a little wire sticking out there messing up the ground. I drove around for about 30 minutes and couldn't get the whine to come back. Fingers crossed!

I guess maybe that's why it was intermittent - as I was driving and shaking it around and what not.

Boomin_tahoe

Hurtin' feelings errrday.
10+ year member
Jul 24, 2005
WA
Ah gotcha now. That one little strand of wire....behold the non seen one that tried to get away!!

Gotyoulooking

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Nov 27, 2018
NYC

a good way to check your grounds in the back. Just add any wire to the negative post of the battery and test your grounding points

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)

Trending topics

Latest classifieds