Enclosure type help

200dBs
10+ year member

Ok im looking toward 2 fi btl 18s and i need to find out what type of box to build

I dont mind a challenge at all and i know a bandpass box is challenging to build. Also i was wondering what does it mean when you say its a 4th order bandpass or a 6th order?

Are you looking for daily loud or highest numbers on a meter? For a VERY LOUD daily system I would do 15 cubes @ 32 with 250in^2 port.

Are you looking for daily loud or highest numbers on a meter? For a VERY LOUD daily system I would do 15 cubes @ 32 with 250in^2 port.
Yes Daily Loud not going into competition... yet...

but what type of enclosure should i use? I heard bandpass is good for some really loud peaks which i would like but im not sure about the many different types of bandpass enclouseres.( like i dont know what the difference of a 4th order and 6th order bandpass box really is)

Yes your right i guess i was not specific with how i wanted it

I just want the system to be heard from very far away and i thought the only way i could achieve this is to use the bandpass boxes ability of having insanely loud peak frequency while less loud other frequencies.

Is there something wrong about my understanding of the bandpass?

Bandpass boxes can be made to have whatever kind of response you'd like...kinda like with ported exclosures. You can tailor chamber sizes and tuning frequencies to give you the response curve you're after. The easiest and most fail-proof thing would be a ported box, ~13ft^3 with a tuning in the low 30's.

Ok since i am looking toward the FI BTL 18 i saw a site on bandpass boxes and it said that only certain subwoofers are good for this kind of box. How do i know a bandpass is good for it?

Ok since i am looking toward the FI BTL 18 i saw a site on bandpass boxes and it said that only certain subwoofers are good for this kind of box. How do i know a bandpass is good for it?
Woofers that work well in sealed boxes tend to do better in 4th order bandpass boxes. Looks for a higher qts value(.5 or higher), and a lower fs value(30hz or lower), and you've got yourself a good candidate. Really, any woofer can be made to have a good response in a ported or BP box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ported is much better for daily and a variety of music, screw the bandpass idea. 18's will be loud as all hell in a well built box and adequately poweredsystem.
this,

putting a loud peak in you system is going to make it sound great in a given 5 or so hertz range and sound like a giant turd over the rest of the freqs,

the best thing to do would be to build a nice ported box tuned to 28-32 hertz, personally the box im building for my 15 is going to be aero ported box tuned to 28,

regardless, putting that 18 on proper power in a good ported box will eaisly be heard, nateberrier on here hat a btl 18 in a ported box tuned to 29 i believe, in his chevette and it did some serious damage.

Also, you want to sound deaden so the bass does NOT travel so far. It ***** when people are calling 911 on you because their place is getting shaken down from a half mile away.

ok thanks everyone for the info

looks like a ported box is looking good, but on the Fi spec sheet it says Ported box: 4.5-8.0cuft | 4.5-8.0cuft is recommended and this is the Fs: 34.0 Hz | 33.6 Hz. i thought i shouldnt go under the recommended Fs and pheonix you said nateberrier had his ported box set to 29 fs. Does anyone know if going over the recommended box size is going to make it sounds bad?

going over the rec box size wont necessarily make it sound bad, but it will make it easier to bottom out the sub (even on proper power) than in the correct size. as long as your not stupid with your equipment and dont try to use your gain as a volume knob youll be fine with the box sepcs that ram told you and knowing his designs it will sound awesome

going over the rec box size wont necessarily make it sound bad, but it will make it easier to bottom out the sub (even on proper power) than in the correct size. as long as your not stupid with your equipment and dont try to use your gain as a volume knob youll be fine with the box sepcs that ram told you and knowing his designs it will sound awesome
So what are the benefits of making the box bigger?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.