Enclosure Prototyping *Pics*

u cannot press MDF in a curve
I don't think he meant that it's getting pressed into a curve, rather the MDF is molded into a curve.

Afterall, MDF is nothing but sawdust and glue that is cast/molded into it's shape. There's no reason why it couldn't be made into other shapes besides a flat panel.

I'm also working on 8's. It's going to take a while.
LOL...I totally forgot you owe money. Thanks for bringing it up. Whenever is cool.

Tuan
I've got a pair of ID8's.

I've been meaning to go over there and pay you but i wanted to finish my truck so you can maybe give me some advice lol. I've also been waiting for the next show.

I've got a pair of ID8's.I've been meaning to go over there and pay you but i wanted to finish my truck so you can maybe give me some advice lol. I've also been waiting for the next show.
Next show is going to be in April. That's around the corner.

Tuan

Yes you can and I've seen it done with my own eyes. There is a guy in San Diego that can do it...he's the only one that I know who can. He charges an arm and a leg.
Tuan
I dont think its possible.. it takes hundreds of tons of pressure just to press a 3/4" sheet of MDF... im calling BS for the 3rd time....

i have seen it done, they get it wet with something (chemical mix) till its flexible, then shape it to whatever.... just like drywall

MDF, or medium density fibreboard, is a common replacement for wood. It is usually manufactured as flat sheets, and is a stiff, rigid, inflexible material that is difficult to bend into the sort of complex shapes often required. It has now been found that by impregnating MDF with ammonia (used in anhydrous - that is to say, dry gaseous - form) the MDF can be made relatively plastic, and in its plasticised state can quite easily be pressed or bent into almost any shape required.

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?wo=1993019910

I dont think its possible.. it takes hundreds of tons of pressure just to press a 3/4" sheet of MDF... im calling BS for the 3rd time....

You "don't think" it can be done. Every single one of your BS call has been debunked. You really need to learn a few things before you start ranting. It's getting old.

Tuan

i have seen it done, they get it wet with something (chemical mix) till its flexible, then shape it to whatever.... just like drywall
MDF, or medium density fibreboard, is a common replacement for wood. It is usually manufactured as flat sheets, and is a stiff, rigid, inflexible material that is difficult to bend into the sort of complex shapes often required. It has now been found that by impregnating MDF with ammonia (used in anhydrous - that is to say, dry gaseous - form) the MDF can be made relatively plastic, and in its plasticised state can quite easily be pressed or bent into almost any shape required.

(WO/1993/019910) BENDING AND SHAPING MDF
Thanks for the link. That is one method, there is also another method. People with these skills are making a whole lot of money.

Tuan

...and I'm calling you out for being a troll.

The easiest way to "bend" MDF is to dado the board about every inch or so(depending on how curvy you want it to be) to make them more flexible, fill the gaps with resin then fiberglass it once you have it bent and set in place. You're gonna need some muscle, a nailgun and patience to do this. I've seen this exact method used by a member on Termpro and it looked really good and was solid as a rock. A few layers of fiberglass on the non-dadoed side wouldn't hurt ether.

...and I'm calling you out for being a troll.

The easiest way to "bend" MDF is to dado the board about every inch or so(depending on how curvy you want it to be) to make them more flexible, fill the gaps with resin then fiberglass it once you have it bent and set in place. You're gonna need some muscle, a nailgun and patience to do this. I've seen this exact method used by a member on Termpro and it looked really good and was solid as a rock. A few layers of fiberglass on the non-dadoed side wouldn't hurt ether.
its called kerfing, get off this thread already.

Tuan, send me an enclosure! :p

I'll use a single Hifonics XX-2412 (12") off an Orion 2500D @ .5ohm and give you all the feedback you'd like, as I have tons of access to a TL.

And, of course, pay for the shipping, and however more you see fit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.